Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am trying to build myself a new computer, and, as follows, i will use the following configuration:
1) CPU: AMD Athon X2 4800+, Brisbane ADO4800DDBOX
2) COOL:Thermaltake CL-P0371
3) VGA: Gigabyte NX86T256D || NX86T256H [the best silent video board that occupies only one slot in the case]
4) RAM: A-Data 2GB PC2-8000 Vitesta Extreme Edition
5) PSU: Fortron Blue Storm 400
6) HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3320820AS (already bought)
7) Case:Antec Solo (already bought)

But I seem to have trouble choosing the right motherboard. But I have 2 finalists with pluses and minuses:
1) K9N SLI Platinum (rev 1.2)
+ 1 PCIX 16x ( NON-SLI) / 1 PCIX 8x;
+ LPT
+heatpipe (only in the 1.2 rev)
- the 1.2 rev version is very new. I couldn't find any reviews. There might be another problem, as i will order it over the net: i might order rev 1.2 and recieve rev1.1

2) Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
+1 [email protected], 1 [email protected]
-optional LPT
+heatpipe cooling system
+AI NAP
- very picky with the memory

So, I must ask you the following questions:
a) None of the manufacturers have my chosen memory in their compatibility lists. Does anybody have / have seen the M2N-SLI Deluxe or K9N SLI Platinum and A-Data Vitesta ?

b) could I use the memory at 1000Mhz without OC-ing the CPU ? (in the bios the maximum allowed memory frequency ist 800Mhz, and I've heard that a highet memory frequency really counts as performance with a AMD CPU)
as putea folosi memoria la 1000Mhz fara sa fac OC la procesor ? (in biosul ambelor placi frecventa maxima a memoriei este de 800Mhz)
c) Is there an application like AI NAP for the rest of the motherboards (I find it very usefull)

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Not to familiar with amd mobos, more of a intel person. That being
said re think your power supply. 400watts isnt enough breathing room
for me, not real sure of the brand you have selected. I like antec, ocz.
You get what you pay for with a psu.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I agree with Manic; 400 watts is going to struggle even coming from a good quiality PSU like the FSP Blue Storm

I would look to at least Antec trio rail 550 watt

better yet Antec trio 650 watt

Corsair HX-620 watt (clubit.com)

Corsair HX-520 watt

Corsair VX-550 watt

Thermaltake Toughpower 600 watt (only toughpower from thermaltake)

Coolermaster Real Power Pro 600 watt (only the PRO from coolermaster)

As for mother board the asus Mn2 is the best socket AM2 board going

yes you will have to overclock your memory somewhat to get to 1000 mhz

but thats no biggie >>>>>> YES the asus board comes with an overclocking software program called AI NOS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the many problems here is that I'm trying to build a silent computer that won't dig a hole in my budget. The problem with the PSU is that it costs too much money for the low-tech component that it is. I know, it's very important to the system (all components are, but the PSU has the power to BURN all the other components) but it's still basically a transformer. And it's not fair to pay for a PSU more than half the price of a MB.
Anyway, i don't plan to use 2 graphic cards, or an energy-hungry one (the one i've chosen needs only the power priovided by the PCI-X slot). I'm not going to OC the computer (the memory is an exception) and I'm going to use a 65nm AMD CPU. I only have 1 HDD, 2 optical units. With this in mind, is the PSU enough ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes you will have to overclock your memory somewhat to get to 1000 mhz

but thats no biggie >>>>>> YES the asus board comes with an overclocking software program called AI NOS
The AI NOS only overclocks the CPU. But I don't want to do this. I only want to buy some 1000Mhz memory and use it at 1000Mhz, without stressing anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.