Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Hoping to get some help here.

So we a share drive that is located on computer A. 5 other computers all share and access that folder. There are no restrictions on anybody. The 5th computer that I just set up is having problems though. When I connected to the network via wifi, I found the shared folder. I opened the share folder and was asked to enter the user name and password. (username and password from the computer the share drive is located on.) I typed it in, and now I can see everything on the share drive. However I am not able to create new files, open - edit - save any files, create new folders. I can't figure out what I am missing here, any advice?

One note I'll make, this new 5th computer was purchased from the UK. Everything else is from USA. Could there be any problems because of this?

Thanks.

Just a quick edit, it says that "you need permission to perform this action" when I try to create a folder or add a file in the share drive.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,147 Posts
What operating system and edition is on Computer A? Are you connecting with the same username from each computer or have you created a corresponding username on Computer A that matches each client machine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All computers are either windows 7 or windows 8. Computer A is windows 7.

Each computer connects using the same username and password.

·
Registered
41,120 Posts
On the Shared Folder on the Shared Drive, right click it and choose Properties/Security tab, press the Edit button. You can Add the new computers user account. You then can select the various permissions. You can grant that computer user Full Control, or just Read and Execute. We don't suggest this but, To be less secure, but easier to access, you can select the Everyone group and assign it Full Control. Then every computer on the network currently and in the future, will be able to access the shared file.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's where I'm running into issues. If you see the picture, the group EVERYONE has full access. So 4 out of 5 computers have no problems with read/write.

I'm not sure how to add another group either. When I click to add a group, it says "From this location:" and the only option available is the host pc (computer A). What would the object names be? I've tried typing in the name of the new computer, but that isn't working.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have done that - "Everyone" is set to full control. Why is 4 out of 5 working properly? Why is my fifth computer somehow not under "Everyone" and only getting read privileges?

·
Registered
41,120 Posts
login as an Administrator on the Shared computer, go to the Properties of the shared folder and Add the troubled computers users user name by clicking the Add button. You will not be able to make any changes unless you are logged in as an Administrator, everything will be greyed out if logging in as a standard user.
If you still have problems, login as Administrator on the troubled computer and access the shared drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.