Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put together a new build and need to pick some brains bigger than mine. Here's the specs:

Case - Fractal Design Meshify C
Motherboard - Asus Prime x570-pro
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3600 (PC28800) 32GB (2x16GB)
GPU - Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700 XT
HD - Western Digital 3D NAND 1TB M.2 2280 SSD
PSU - ABS Tagan BZ900 900W (This is the only old component from my previous PC - I ordered a new PSU but it seems to be lost in transit so I got impatient and decided to use this one for now. It works perfectly in my old build.)

Here's the deal. All components/cables are connected and quadruple checked to be well seated. Before I even press the power button, the RGB lights on the MOBO come on so I know it's getting power. Then I press the power button and the case fans, CPU fan, and GPU fans spin for 1-2 seconds before shutting off. A few seconds later the RGB lights on the RAM come on so I know that is getting power as well.

The MOBO has 4 on-board QLEDs (Boot, CPU, DRAM, and VGA). None of these light up at any point.

I believe the case has a built in speaker but I hear no beeps at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,463 Posts
No mention of a cpu cooler.....what cpu cooler do you have? Did you remove the clear plastic base cover? Did it have pre applied thermal paste? If not did you add your own and what method did you use?

As a guess...I say it's you power supply or your cpu is not installed correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No mention of a cpu cooler.....what cpu cooler do you have? Did you remove the clear plastic base cover? Did it have pre applied thermal paste? If not did you add your own and what method did you use?

As a guess...I say it's you power supply or your cpu is not installed correctly.

I used the cooler that came in the box with the CPU (Wraith Prism). Yes, I removed the plastic base cover and yes it had pre-applied thermal paste so I did not add more.

It's kinda hard to install either one of those things incorrectly but I've re-seated the PSU ATX connectors many times and reseated the CPU once.

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
230 Posts
If everything is as you say, double checked, then you may need a new motherboard. No bent pins on the cpu?

Yes, I know this is a new build and it's not very common but it's not impossible to get a bad, new motherboard or CPU or PSU. I've seen a few in my time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If everything is as you say, double checked, then you may need a new motherboard. No bent pins on the cpu?

Yes, I know this is a new build and it's not very common but it's not impossible to get a bad, new motherboard or CPU or PSU. I've seen a few in my time.

Pins look perfect as far as I can tell.

I'm about to go pick up a Ryzen 3200G and a new power supply from Best Buy so I can test those out. If I still can't get it to boot, I'll probably RMA the MOBO and hope for the best.

I'd love to pick up a new MOBO too but AM4's are nearly impossible to find around here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New power supply fixed the issue.* It still doesn't make any sense to me how my old PSU which had the exact same connectors, twice the power, and works fine in another build*was unable to keep the new build on.

Anyway, on to the next issue.* After getting Windows installed, I updated all my drivers and such with no issues.* Then I updated the BIOS and it no longer recognizes my M.2 hard drive.* Oddly,*when I go into the BIOS update screen*it sees that*drive and looks for any updates on there but does not list it in the boot sequence.* Any ideas?

PS - Thank you to everyone who helped me with this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final update:
The BIOS update made it think my HDs were set up in a RAID configuration and were unable to find the Windows install. I wiped it and did a clean install, now it's working with the newest BIOS.

Once again, thank you everyone!

·
283 Posts
Yep with new BIOS version anything newer than say Z370 (intel) or AMD B350 you want to make sure if you're installing on a single drive OS config that your BIOS is not set to raid mode but rather standard SATA mode. Setting optimized usually does this but not always.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts