Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really stuck here, Heres what happened:

At first, it appeared as if my computer was fully functioning(fans where working, HDD booted, optical drive opened and closed), but when I connected it to a monitor(I tried three different ones) nothing came up. I then decided to strip the system and put everything back. I then booted up the system again, and it was working for a couple of seconds and then everything turned off. Now when I boot up my computer nothing happens.

Specs

Intel core i7 950
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Corsair Vengeance 6GB DDR3 1600 MHz 1.50v 8-8-8-24
CPU cooler-stock
1GB Sapphire HD 6870 Toxic, 4600MHz GDDR5, GPU 970MHz, 1120 Stream Processors
850W Corsair TX850 V2
samsung F3 spinpoint 1TB
Cooler master HAF 922

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Those of us who are techs always bench test first. Therefore, I suggest you follow the good advice of Markgg88. Just make sure you have a hole for every post (motherboard post) and a post for every hole in that motherboard, no more, no less.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay I have just bench tested my system and I have gotten the same thing, I have got only the processor, gfx card and one stick of ram, all I see is two LED's on my motherboard, one green and one orange.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Those LED's are part of Gigabyte's built in diagnostics. See your manual section 1-8

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
during the bench test / I "assume" you are not trying to connect any wires to the F-Panel connector (power switch/hard drive led / case reset switch etc etc etc) and you should be shorting the pins for PWR for a brief second or two with a small screw driver?

did you install the 8 pin cpu power plug ? some boards you must remove the black plastic cap that covers 4 of the holes on the cpu power plug at the motherboard

if you can please give us up close pics of your bench test layout including a shot of the video card power connected to the card / cpu power plug connection / 24 pin main power connection

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
woah this is so weird, my system boots fine again, like before, and I get the beep indicating a fine boot, but i get no signal to the monitor, could this be a defective graphic card??

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
woah this is so weird, my system boots fine again, like before, and I get the beep indicating a fine boot, but i get no signal to the monitor, could this be a defective graphic card??

certainly if the card has a power plug active from the PSU ???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I have connected two PCI-E cables to my graphics card and nothing shows up on the screen, it seems I'm back to square one :(, should I return it?? Is there still a possibility that it could be another component??

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
if the system sounds like its booting and you can hear the hard drive spinnign up then I think its fairly accurate to say "bad" video card; why not take the card to the place where you bought it and have them test it; or roll the dice and send it back

right now you have the mobo setting on the motherboard box performing a bench test; correct?

your mobo is not back into the CASE right ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once the system booted up outside, I put it back in(without connecting it to the case fans) and got the same result so i'm fairly certain it's nothing in the case :D, i can take it out again though no problem there. Also if I return it, will they perform tests on it or just replace it?? I bought it from scan.co.uk.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
try it outside the case one more time before you return the board / it the board will boot & post to the bios outside the case then we can explore what the problem is

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@space1 how would I manage to do that without the graphics card, the motherboard doesn't have on board graphics so there is no interface to hook it up to the monitor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.