Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Machine posts but every time I try and load windows it won't complete! Have tried different xp sp3 discs but all with the same result. Installation starts but then the machine starts saying it can't copy certain files but the files it won't copy keep changing. I also occasionally get system failures but the type of failures keeps changing( checksums, exemptions, and some unidentified. Anyone got any ideas?
Here are my components:
Motherboard: MSI 870a-g54
Memory: OCZ ddr-3 (4-2gig sticks)
Processor: AMD Phenom X4- 965
Video Card: ATI Radeon 5750 w/1 gig gddr5
Power supply: Rosewill extreme RX850 SB 850W
Case: Rosewill armour
cd/dvd: HP 1270 i
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 1T 32meg cache 7200rpm

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Set SATA to IDE -Compatibility Mode- or something similar.
I would be very leary of using a Rosewill PSU. They are basically junk and using a low quality underpowered PSU will only lead to early premature hardware failure.
Filling all the RAM slots can also cause problems and 4GB (2X2) is more than sufficient for any game and most all apps.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
One never knows what low quality PSU's can affect.
Remove two of the RAM sticks, Set SATA to IDE and see if you can get the OS installed.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I am assuming i set SATA to IDE in the bios but I can't find it there any ideas?
I haven't used an MSI Mobo for several yrs. so I'm not familioar with their Bios. It should be something like IDE-Compatible- or something similar.

I also have a used @-power 500 w power supply model ep-50068 would this be better?
That wouldn't be advisable with the 5770 GPU.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried all suggestions that I got but to no avail (except- check power supply). I bench tested the psu and it failed so I am looking at a PC Power and Cooling 750 W power supply. Any opinions on this power supply? And Tyree I am sorry for the multiple post just looking for other opinions, thanks for your input(I Guess Rosewill Power supplies SUCK).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That 1 was used. My son gave it to me but it failed the bench test too. I am having to use a multimeter to bench test but I am confident I am testing correctly. I do have a psu tester(coolmax ps 228) on its way to me to test my results and that will be the final test I think. It seems to me that since my machine will run dos programs the processor is ok, since I have swapped out my ram 1 stick at a time with no change, and since I have changed out everything else with Known good components, this only leaves the Mobo and psu so if my new psu fails to work its a new mobo, yes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.