Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first build.
I would like to identify what is failing, so that I can replace/fix/etc.

Here's the list of parts used, mostly consist of new parts just purchased...
New parts -
MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.5GHz 4 Core LGA 1155
PSU: Corsair Builder Sereis CX 750W ATX
Mmory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz 240-Pin
Old (6 years ago) -
GPU: NIVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512MB
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series Black 550D
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Series 430W

Issue:
Cannot power up the machine. No BIOS. No beep.

Have tried:
to use an alternative PSU
to unplugged all cables, then reconnect them
to start with one RAM (on A2 slot), no additional PSI (graphic card, etc.)
to swap the reset switch with power switch to see any case-switch failure

Outcome so far:
The board (Z77) SB_PWR led lights up as the PSU turned on, but, after that, nothing else happens even when I hit the power.

I suspect it's either the motherboard or cables, but I am unsure what actually is failing or how to test them any further. Could you provide me any suggestions/comments? I appreciate your help!

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
First suspect would be the low quality PSU that has past it's warranty by 3 yrs.
Brand & Model of the other PSU you tried?
Remove all RAM, power on, listen for beep codes from the Mobo speaker. No RAM and no beeps indicates a Mobo problem.
NOTE: a Mobo speaker is required.
Test cable by substitution.
Did you use one standoff, no more - no less, for each Mobo mounting hole?
I would advise a bench test precisely as described below.
Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.