Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sThis will be a longwinded post, but I want to be clear and thorough in the problem. Please bear with me and I apologize in advance for the length.

I have been building a new system that has me pulling my hair out. I have been over everything about a dozen times, and cannot figure out what is wrong. The system would not reboot. It would POST just fine, but when trying to reset BIOS, I hit F10 and the powers goes off and on, then no reboot. There is no post or anything. All the fans are spinning and everything seems to power up, then NOTHING! The hard drive is brand new and when I try to load an OS, it gets as far as having to restart and then just does nothing. no post, nothing. OS has never been fully installed and system has never been fully up and running.

I figured I would upgrade the BIOS, and now I have NO mouse, NO Keyboard and when the system starts, it posts and runs thru detection and now gives me a checksum error and tells me to hit F1, which I cannot do without a keyboard.

Here is the system

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (brand new)
Linksys wireless router, and NIC and Linksys cable modem (brand new)
Sky7hawk 420W power supply (working pull)

Gigabyte GA-7nnxp (brand new)
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7NNXP.htm

Western Digital 120GB Hard Drive (brand new)
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=27

Kingston 512 DDR400 (two) (brand new)
http://www.valueram.com/config/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR400X64C25/512

PNY GeForceFX 5200 Ultra graphics card (working pull)
http://www.pny.com/products/verto/geForceFx/5200ultra.asp

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX (working pull)
http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=132

Floppy, DVD, CD RW (all working pulls)

I have carefuly checked, and there are no broken or bent pins anywhere and all cable, ribbons and jumpers are correct. I have checked and rechecked... well everything seems to be fine. The system posts and all info on graphics card, RAM, HD, CD, DVD.. etc. I showing on the screen. But the system would 'halt on reboot', and I had to manually turn the system off and back on... which prohibited me from changing the advanced BIOS settings, and installing an OS. I am thinking there is a 'halt on' setting in the BIOS that is keeping it from rebooting properly, but now I cannot change the settings.

Bcuz now I have NO mouse or Keyboard.

Please help.....

Thanks in advance,
KarenMarie

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you're using a USB keyboard, I'd recommend you beg, borrow, or steal a PS/2 keyboard. It's not uncommon to have these kinds of issues with a USB keyboard.

If you have a PS/2 keyboard now, there are two possibilities. You either have a bad keyboard, or the MB fuse for the KB +5V has blown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS/2.
And I have tried three of them, none of them work in this system.

I read this with interest. Not the part about the original poster plugging in the wrong ports, but the poster to makes a suggestion about switching ports:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Desktops/Q_20734314.html

I am afraid to blow something so have not tried it.

If the fuse is blown, how easy and practical is it to repair? The board is less than a week old and still under store warranty. They want 5-10 business days to test before trying to repair or replace, so I am hoping it is something that I can sort out.

Thanks for your reply.

:D

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you have the PS/2 keyboard in the mouse port, it'll be real flaky with some boards, not work at all with others, and some boards don't mind at all. The keyboard port is normally the one on the bottom, FWIW.

BTW, NEVER plug or remove the PS/2 devices when power is on.

The PS/2 port fuse is soldered on the board, normally a small surface mount device. It's not something the average user can replace.

S

·
0 Posts
Have you tried clearing the CMOS since you upgraded the BIOS?

And welcome to TSF KarenMarie...................:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the battery for approx. five minutes and then replaced it. That is when I got a checksum error that reqires me to hit F1 to continue, hit delete to enter advanced BIOS setting or F8 for dual BIOS feature.

I cannot access any of these options without a keyboard.

:(

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. It is much appreciated.

S

·
0 Posts
Well according to this that isn't going to work either.

Time to take a look at what Disk Image has to offer...........:D

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well if the fuse is suspect, and if you can find it on the mobo, I would test it. It's a simple continuity check. But be sure you know where the fuse is on the mobo. If you are at all uncomfortable about this, don't do it, take it to a shop or something. I sometimes get flack for coming onto forums and suggesting something that takes a little electrical work.

On mine, the fuse is a little surface- mount rectangular dealie right behind the PS/2 port stack, marked "P160". Here's a picture of fuses. If I had to guess, my "P160" is a 1.6 Amp, 6-volt fuse, as shown by this datasheet, and it would take 2.8 Amps to blow it. That's a lot of zots, unless your Keyboard or Mouse device has a dead short in it.

I would pull the power plug and wait 15 secs. Borrow an ohmmeter, set it to a 200-ohm range or less, and touch the probes to both ends of the fuse. If the fuse is good, it ought to read less than 1 ohm... ought to look like zero; mine read something like 0.2 ohms. There's not enough current through ohmmeter probes to damage anything on the mobo, so it will be safe to try, providing you pull the power cord first.

If you can't get an ohmmeter, fuses are simple so you can jury-rig a little tester. Get a single 1.5v battery, AA or AAA size should do; a flashlight bulb; and 3 pieces of wire about 1m long or less. Strip the wire ends and have a friend help hold the wires onto the parts while you do the test, or tape them securely to the bulb and battery. Pull the PC power cord. Briefly touch the two free wires to the two sides of the fuse. The bulb should light or glow when you complete the circuit through the fuse, if the fuse is good. Again 1.5V isn't enough to damage anything in the PS/2 circuit. Here's the wire plan... it's a basic continuity tester, or a "beeper light" as we call them, very much the same as a flashlight.

1.5V battery (+) <--wire--> bulb <--wire--> fuse ends <--wire--> battery (-)

One of these methods will tell you if the mobo PS/2 fuse is OK. If it's bad, you'll have to decide what to do about that. Sometimes fuses are just defective. Hope this helps narrow it down,

-clintfan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.