Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey TFS!

I just ordered me a new build from newegg that I haven't put together yet but plan on it this weekend. My question is 1: I'm new to i7 cpus and I'm wondering if it better to overclock a i7 950 to 4.2/ht off or should I settle for a lower clock with ht enabled since ht produces more heat. I have a nice nuctua d14 cooler but would that air cooler be enough to cool the i7 @4.2? Someone told me that I could probably get 4ghz w/ht threading with my build but I figured I would get some opinions first. This pc will be my new gaming rig.
2nd question what's the average voltage ppl use to reach 4ghz and should turbo core /speed step be on or off once I find a stable oc? What about memory?? I want to try and keep it close to stock after overclocking before fiddling with that?, do I want x.m.p enabled??
*additional* I heard ppl saying that leaving the voltage on auto work s perfectly when overclock is this true?

My new rigs spec below

Asus sabortooth x58 mobo
Core i7 950 (nuctua d14 cooler)
4gbs corsair ddr3 9-9-9-24 1600mhz
Msi nvidia gtx580 1.5gb gddr5
Corsair 750w psu
120gb ssd intel
X2 1tb wd blacks in raid0
Windows 7 ultimate x64
Computer case is azza hurrican 2000
23in lg 120hz lcd / 42 in lg lcd

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright ill settle for 3.8 + HT 24/7, also do i only disable speed step / turbo cores when im overclocking and just re enable once i settle on a stable clock or are they suppose to stay disabled?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.