Tech Support banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a new build desktop system that fails to display anything on its monitor. I suspect a failed video card ( secondhand, not new), but would appreciate any advice for confirming this.

Components are as follows:-
Motherboard - ASRock H410M-ITX/ac
CPU - Intel core I3 - 10100F (no onboard graphics)
Memory - 2 x 8Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD - Western Digital Green 240Gb
Graphics - MSI Radeon R7 2GD3 LPV1 (temporary until new board available)
Power - Seasonic SSP-300SFB
Monitor - HP W3307 - HDMI input used
CDROM - USB plug in when required

When power applied and psu switched to "on", no action until case power switch is pressed. Then the "power" led is on and the fans on cpu and graphics card start. Nothing on the monitor which remains on "standby"
Checked power supply voltages as +5.04V and +12.13V.
After a few minutes CPU heatsink is barely warm and the other motherboard heatsink is slightly warmer. The PSU fan is stationary as is main chassis fan.
If case "reset" is pressed, the "power" led extinguishes for a second or so, then lights again. Pressing keyboard "F2" after "reset"has no apparent effect (i.e. the monitor remains in "standby").

My take on the above symptoms is that the graphics card is dead (I did try the "vga" output as well - also dead !!) and needs to be replaced, but that the cpu and other motherboard functions are alive and well - but invisible at the moment.

One further question - I am planning to eventually use wireless keyboard and mouse but a wired keboard during initial setup, at what stage will the system recognise a wireless mouse? The connector on the motherboard combines both k/b and mouse inputs into one - guess I would need a combining cable if such a thing exists.

Any advice gratefully received so as to revive an expensive paperweight.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
Let's see what other builders say, but I don't like your amalgam of parts. Particularly the bottom end PSU.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a limited choice on PSU to fit into a Mini ITX case I wished to use. Calcs showed sensible current/power margins if a midrange graphics card used. CPU power is quoted as 65watts , I hope this will leave plenty of margin for other functions (graphics and SSD). System will be used exclusively for a Flight Simulator.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If this is your card will need at least 400 watt power supply but I would go for 550 watt supply
I really don't understand the huge discrepancy between specifed maximum power dissipation of major components and suggested power supply capability.

MSI for example quote 35watts (+5V rail) max for the graphics card and Intel quote 65 watts maximum for the CPU - even allowing large margins for motherboard power conversion efficiency and ancilliary power drains, surely a 300watt capability is not an unreasonable margin ( >2:1 ).

My major focus at the moment is the apparently non functional (temporary) graphics card. Its replacement will not exceed 50 watts (GeForce GT730).

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
I really don't understand the huge discrepancy between specifed maximum power dissipation of major components and suggested power supply capability.
Manufacturers' err on the side of caution. BTW, you probably aren't familiar with how the numbers of rails in a PSU determine what could happen based on hookup.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the end I found nothing untoward in the system - all voltages looked sensible, even on the graphics card that I suspected, so finally I asked the local village computer shop to check out the card and give the system a once over.

It turned out that the BIOS setup was such that the graphics card wasn't being selected - so unsurprisingly there was no display!! Apparently the CMOS battery needed to be removed so that the settings returned to default values - whereupon every thing happened as it should.

Salutary lesson - maybe my lack of knowledge will help someone else in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts