2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought these parts:

AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor

ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card

Antec Basiq 500W ATX12V Power Supply

Western Digital WD Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer

MSI ATX Mid Tower Chassis Case for Computer, Black (TC-128)

I put all of the parts together and when I first launched it everything was good. I installed the drivers for the mobo and graphics card everything was still fine. I installed steam and a few games and went to bed. The next morning I wake up and turn the computer on everything is fine but then I launched the new Tomb Raider and I was getting graphical glitches so I closed it and try relaunching Tomb Raider and again there were graphical glitches and this time I had to shut the computer down. When it started up my computer was fine so I started browsing youtube then I stepped away from my computer and the screen had small graphical glitches so I unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in. That didnt work so I restarted the computer and it was still messing up. I turned the computer off for a while and when I tried turning it on again I was getting these graphical glitches on the launch screens and it wont boot and just keeps trying to reboot and wont get past the loading windows screen.
Im not sure what to do but after researching it I think its either somethings wrong with the graphics card, widows files, or the power supply doesnt have enough power for the rig. I tried reseating all the wires an the CPU and Ram but that didnt help. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

· Moderator; Hardware
20,064 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to swap parts. Try testing the video card in another PC, that will confirm a video card issue.

With that said, I'd question the power supply for starters. 500W would be small for a quality unit, and Antec is mediocre at best.

· Premium Member
39,975 Posts
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Your PSU is a tad low but should still do the trick with that card. Although you should note to only use XFX or Seasonic brands.

As for the restarting. Do you have the Windows 7 CD?

Does the computer boot if you unplug the GPU?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only problem with testing the graphics card is I dont have another computer to test it in.
I do have the Windows 7 CD though and Ill search for my VGA cable to test to see if the computer will boot without the GPU.

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
You can take the GPU to a PC shop for testing. The PSU is the bare minimum required for the GPU and is not the best quality so it's a good suspect.
Note: using one stick of RAM puts you in Single channel mode and performance suffers.
2x4GB of 1333MHz would have been the better option for RAM to match the Mobo and use the advantage of dual channel operation.
Memory Standard for the AsRock 970DE3/U3S3 is DDR3 1866(OC)/1600(OC)/1333/1066/800

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.