Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post here. I recently fried my old A7A266, so I bought a A78NX-E Deluxe. I'm using Corsair XMS Twin PC3200 Ram (1GB), and I'm not getting any hardware errors. But when I power on, POST says no floppy disk detected, so I turn that option (boot from floppy) off, in BIOS setup. That fixes that. BIOS recognizes all of my components, CPU, HDD, CD-Rom, and Floppy drive, perfectly fine. Once it finishes POST, and the Vocal POST says "power on self test completed, system now booting from operating system" the next screen SHOULD be the Windows loading thing, but it just restarts. Do I have to reinstall Windows XP? Reformatting the hard drive too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See the thing is, I was using an ASUS board before. I can't log in Safe Mode, and when I try another hard drive (one I KNOW has problems) it hangs at the end of POST. With my original HDD, it will complete post and attempt to load windows, i can see it begin to show on screen, and then a really quick Blue Screen flashes and the computer reboots with the A78NX-E Splash screen. If i don't sit at the computer and enter BIOS or turn it off, it will endlessly reboot, finish POST (with NO errors) and attempt to load windows and crash. The only component I changed from my old system is the motherboard. Everything else I used before, and the MoBo recognizes everything in BIOS and POST. I DON'T have my Windows XP cd (lost in the process of moving, it may be somewhere at my old house) so I don't want to have to reformat. But how can I format the drive if I can't get in safe mode? I made a bootable floppy today in my computer lab at school (where I am right now, 5th and 7th period) so I have one if need be. Also, I Do Have the most recent BIOS (rev 1013) for this board. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its because you are now using an AMD CPU.
1. Boot into safe mode
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Restart your computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I mentioned before, I have the same CPU i used before, an AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+, which worked on my old ASUS board, the A7A266, until i fried the board. I can't boot into safe mode to change the registry anyhow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I formatted an extra (defective) drive in hopes it would work, tried FAT32 (a 20 GB drive) but that didn't work, tried NTFS, the drive is physically damaged. It was an old slave I thought might not have been getting power. So anyway, got my friends copy of Win XP formatted my main drive, lost all my stuff. BUT! Everything works now. Went through the process of Windows update about 7 times, but fully updated, DirectX 9.0c, Nvidia 77.56 drivers with Rivatuner, yada yada. Thanks for your time guys, this mobo works great now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.