Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New 19" LCD / Disappointed

People,

Just setup my new Dell 8250, with which I ordered a 19" LCD monitor...& am disappointed with the performance & was hoping some members could shed some light on my newfound difficulties.

First of all, some web sites have the pages displayed (including prominent sites, such as msn.com), full left...with a margin on the right. On my old monitor, a 17" CRT, all web sites filled the screen. I have seen 19" CRT's; & they too have the web page displayed proportional to the screen size (full.) Is this a characteristic of LCD monitors, or a matter of how web builders size their pages? I'm wondering why I always saw the full page on my old monitor; & this one has margins with some sites. (My screen res is set to 1024 X 768, which seems to look normal in all other aspects.)

Secondly, the quality of the display itself seems to be very poor; & lacking sharpness & detail. Text is actually fuzzy (even in XP's "Clear Type" mode.) My salesperson at Dell misunderstood my intentions; & sent me a machine with the wrong video card (GeForce4 MX 420), which only has VGA output. Dell is now sending me a new card (Readon 9000 Pro), which of course has DVI. Will the digital output improve the quality of the display?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well

have you read the book that came with the monitor?

most of them have a center and stretch for horizontal and vertical, and some even have a skew and splay setting, and remember this is different for every single graphics mode you run.

it is called the "Onscreen Manager".

set it to exact center, and then stretch it to fit the sides.

if this is your problem, you will find it increases the quality of the image if you stretch it to the correct size.

i hope that helped even a little bit.

~BoB~

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: New 19" LCD / Disappointed

Just purchased the planar lcd 19" from dell love it.
Paid $580.

Send back dell and get Planar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i did not buy the monitor with a system. Monitors were on sale last week 15% off. They have this same sale like every 3rd week.
Check reviews on cnet.com and zdnet.com. Excellent value.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The kind of monitor you have shouldn't matter. Does it go partial size on a 19" CRT? Try dropping your resolution and see if that clears it up. That's usually what the web sites are deigned around. If you're running 1600X1200 and the site was designed for 1024X768 (and I think most are), it'll look funny. ...then again, everything'll look jagged when you'll do that.:no:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.