Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know what this means...Its an error i get when trying to hook stuff up to my printer port on the case.

While validating that \Device\Serial2 was really a serial port, the contents of the divisor latch register was identical to the interrupt enable and the receive registers. The device is assumed not to be a serial port and will be deleted.

thnx

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try checking your memory and IRQ settings for your printer and serial ports. What are they? That could be the source of the error.

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Printer port looks good. I just cant even begin to understand that error.

Im lost.X(

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've seen some wierd stuff out of computers, but never this!:eek: Try going into CMOS and changing the mode of your printer port. I don't know if this will cure it, but it's worth a shot isn't it?:confused: :winkgrin:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Actually, Lectraplayer has a good idea, and I'd take it one step farther. Try resetting your CMOS to factory defaults and go from there. One thing to note. Make sure you set the ACPI setting in power management to the same setting as before resetting it, because you could end up unable to boot if you don't!

·
Registered
529 Posts
You may want to wait on resetting the CMOS. Try my mods first, and if that don't work, THEN reset the sucker. It'll reconfigure itself most of the way for you (like the hard disks).

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can you refresh my memory. How would i get into cmos and change it. Do you mean get into setup at boot?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Yes, I'm talking about entering the BIOS setup at boot and resetting to factory defaults. Even better is using the jumper on the MB to reset to factory defaults. The only significant issue with W2K/XP is making sure the ACPI setting is the same as before, since it will not boot if that setting is not correct.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That's why I want you to enter Setup (CMOS) and check your printer status. Beyond that, I see no reason to reset everything to fix a simple printer thingie. If the rest of your computer's fine, you have little reason to mess with that reset jumper and risk ruining XP (through that ACPI thing).

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The reason I suggest the reset is it appears that his CMOS parameters may have gotten corrupted. I've had a number of systems where the fix for strange I/O errors in the BIOS was to clear the BIOS parameters completely, then set them again. It is no problem for me if he doesn't want to do that, I thought he was trying to get his port working. :confused:

FWIW, you don't "ruin" XP, you just have to get the ACPI setting back to the state it was before you reset. When I'm resetting everything, I like to know what all the settings were beforehand, my digital camera comes in handy for a quick record. :)

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx guys, I'll try it and get back to you.:D

·
Registered
529 Posts
johnwill said:
The reason I suggest the reset is it appears that his CMOS parameters may have gotten corrupted. I've had a number of systems where the fix for strange I/O errors in the BIOS was to clear the BIOS parameters completely, then set them again. It is no problem for me if he doesn't want to do that, I thought he was trying to get his port working. :confused:

FWIW, you don't "ruin" XP, you just have to get the ACPI setting back to the state it was before you reset. When I'm resetting everything, I like to know what all the settings were beforehand, my digital camera comes in handy for a quick record. :)
Most of the time I tried resetting the CMOS, my problem related to it stayed. However, I don't discount a garbled setting in CMOS as the culprit. Do you have anything that isn't working right now? Maybe it could be that or related.

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've went into setup and fiddled around with Serial A & Serial B settings along with Parallel port settings but still haven't solved my little dilemna. There are so many different possibilites.

I didnt See anything related at all to ACPI .

Hey Lonny, you have an 810 chipset, your bios would basacally be the sdame as mine....D'you got the ACPI settings??

Lectraplayer Said
Do you have anything that isn't working right now? Maybe it could be that or related.
I do have a comm port dissabled cuz I cant get it working but I dont see how that would be related.....Other than that everything else is top notch on my system....

·
Registered
529 Posts
That could be related. Your COMM port may be conflicting with a system function, making your system unstable. Try fiddling with it again.

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You Know what, I've been reading somewhere that comunications ports could somewhat be interelated to the serial ports or something......maybe im going crazy:upset:

But i dont think its a coincidence that Serial port A works as well as Comm Port 1 and Serial port B (my problem port) doesnt work and my comm port 2 doesnt start(in device manager it has a little yellow asterix and when i click properties, it says the device cant start)....:confused: :confused:

So then how would I go about and get my Comm 2 up and running??

Isnt comm 2 supposed to be working if comm 1 is???

:cry: :sigh: :sour: :startled: :nuts:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Last time I checked, Comm Port and Serial Port and RS232 Port were all diferent terms for the same dam thing. Comm A and Comm C are both the same, and Comm B and Comm D (or Serial 1 and Serial 3 as well as Serial 2 and Serial 4) Whatever it's called, it should be that nine pin plug on the back of your computer.

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tru tru, hmmm that still doesnt solve my problem.....

hmmmm

·
Registered
529 Posts
Keep looking at it. The fact that the port hasn't worked yet and the fact that your system is resetting kinda makes me think that you might hava a conflict between it and your IDE disk controller (which Windows may not be picking up). Play with it a while longer. Then again, your motherboard might be going bad. If it's under warranty, try trading it out with the factory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.