Tech Support banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Moderator , Security Team
873 Posts
Error 80070103 may occur when you update a driver from Windows Update and try to install the driver that is already installed on your computer or, the driver has a lower compatibility rating than one you already have installed.
So if you want to update to this particular driver you're going to have to do it manually.

1) Go to the device manufacturer’s website.

2) Find and download the latest driver for your device ...

See also ...

3) Reboot your computer to make the new driver take effect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So if you want to update to this particular driver you're going to have to do it manually.

1) Go to the device manufacturer’s website.

2) Find and download the latest driver for your device ...

See also ...

3) Reboot your computer to make the new driver take effect.
I had already tried this but to be safe, I tried again. Upon completing the process, I was met with the following message;
(And the issue still persists, unfortunately)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Have you tried using the device manager, uninstall the Linksys and any other adapter that you see from "Network adapters" with the adapter plugged in. (Save a screen shot first)
Restart and check everything has been reinstalled.
Hell, at this point, I'd be vex enough and uninstall all!!

·
873 Posts
If what JoeGons suggests doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas for the moment.

As I said earlier, this isn't really my area of expertise, so it looks like it needs someone who is more knowledgeable about wireless networking than me to resolve things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If what JoeGons suggests doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas for the moment.

As I said earlier, this isn't really my area of expertise, so it looks like it needs someone who is more knowledgeable about wireless networking than me to resolve things.
Would this extend to the Intel Ethernet connection as well, even though I am not using ethernet?
I attempted an uninstall of the Linksys adapter, restarted the computer, it reinstalled itself properly but the issue persisted. I even went so far as to re-verify that its drivers were up to date again, but no luck.

I disabled the intel Ethernet device and tried again, but no luck. (Did not uninstall that one, but I can if that seems like it might have a chance)

Would reformatting the entire PC work? I COULD do that, I was hoping to avoid it but I could...

·
Registered
97 Posts
This topic has now gone beyond my "pay-scale".
There is always a chance that starting fresh might fix everything.
I am sure you have tried the Adapter in each and every available USB port.
I do not remember but have you tried taking the computer close to the Modem/Router and trying an ethernet cable?

·
873 Posts
Would reformatting the entire PC work? I COULD do that, I was hoping to avoid it but I could...
Impossible to say. It could well resolve things, but there's always the possibility that it won't.

How was W7 installed, was it pre-installed by the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) or was it installed using a disk from Microsoft.

If the latter, you could attempt a Repair Install .... How to repair a corrupt Windows 7 installation ... but that option is not available if the OS was pre-installed by the OEM.

If your hardware is up to it, then rather than re-installing W7 which is no longer supported by Microsoft, it is probably a better idea to upgrade to W10.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a lot more stuff in my "Network Adapters".
TAP-Windows Adapter V9 is to do with my VPN.
Not sure what the others are.

Is there something missing from the OP's PC?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This topic has now gone beyond my "pay-scale".
There is always a chance that starting fresh might fix everything.
I am sure you have tried the Adapter in each and every available USB port.
I do not remember but have you tried taking the computer close to the Modem/Router and trying an ethernet cable?
Indeed I have, same issue in all the usb ports, 2.0 or 3.0 alike.

Impossible to say. It could well resolve things, but there's always the possibility that it won't.

How was W7 installed, was it pre-installed by the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) or was it installed using a disk from Microsoft.

If the latter, you could attempt a Repair Install .... How to repair a corrupt Windows 7 installation ... but that option is not available if the OS was pre-installed by the OEM.

If your hardware is up to it, then rather than re-installing W7 which is no longer supported by Microsoft, it is probably a better idea to upgrade to W10.

Even more unfortunate is my fathers distaste for windows 10, he has a surface tablet with that and he absolutely hates it, which is why hes still on w7.
Ill attempt this backup/repair as soon as possible however and get back to you on results

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I seem to be unable to attempt the Windows 7 repair because I do not have an ISO to use, and I cannot recover the product key off the rig to obtain one from microsoft.

I tried several different third party programs as well as a command in powershell and none of these worked. I got BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB as a product key from the third party apps and nothing from the powershell command.

Wouldnt this also make it difficult to upgrade to 10 if I can talk him into it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use this. It also gives the Key stored in the BIOS if available.
It's portable. Nothing to install.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts