Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a wired or wireless connection issue?
This is a wireless connection issue
How to run and post an ipconfig /all output of the computer(s) in question for review.

Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
Comcast

What type of Broadband connection are you using?
I am unsure of how to find this out

What is the exact Make and Model of your Modem, Router or Modem/Router Combo -
I had difficulty finding the model off the box but it is an xfinity box, i believe 'Dual-band wifi 802.11ac' may be of use. Also listed below that is "XB3".

What version of windows/OSX are you running -
Windows 7 (I believe service pack 1, however hes pushed all sorts of buttons hiding menus so I havent confirmed that)

What is the Name of the Anti-Virus, Security or Firewall Software
Malware bytes, free version.

For Wireless issue only:

-----------

Outside of the pre-requested information template,

Originally I was attempting to fix that his copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 wasnt launching. I updated his NVIDIA drivers, and was in the process of installing optional windows updates hoping that would help. In the middle of the windows updates, something went wrong, and it stopped updating and the adapter no longer connects to the networks.

Here are the images, showing that the networks are visible however I cannot connect to them.

Things I have tried before posting here;
ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew. (With no connection these did nothing)
A replacement adapter (I use the same model, it returned the same error on his computer, works fine on my own.)
Forgetting all previously known networks and reconnecting. (error remains as pictured above)
Restarting.

This is my father's PC he is frustrated to the point of throwing it away. Its a custom build that cost a pretty penny so I'd rather not have to see that happen.
Thank you in advance, and I can get/provide more information as needed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not sure if it means anything but I don't see any IP address.
Are you using WiFi or Ethernet cable?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if it means anything but I don't see any IP address.
Are you using WiFi or Ethernet cable?
It isnt able to connect to the networks to get itself an IP address.

It is a Wifi connection, using a Linkskys WUSB6300 Adapter.
(I use the same adapter, i tried uninstalling his, and then reinstalling it via my own, and the issue persisted, when brought back to my own computer, the adapter still works fine for me. Our rigs are near-identical parts as well so it stumped me pretty well.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Worth checking.
Configure for DHCP

The default configuration that comes with the Operating System is the correct configuration for DHCP. To check this:

Click Start then Control Panel. Once in Control Panel select Network and Internet and then from the following menu click on the Network and Sharing Center item.
Select Change adapter settings from the menu on the left. Right-click on the Local Area Connection item and then select Properties.
Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties. Verify that under the General tab, Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.

columbia.edu

Google Windows 7 Ethernet/Wireless Configuration (Summary)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worth checking.
Configure for DHCP

The default configuration that comes with the Operating System is the correct configuration for DHCP. To check this:

Click Start then Control Panel. Once in Control Panel select Network and Internet and then from the following menu click on the Network and Sharing Center item.
Select Change adapter settings from the menu on the left. Right-click on the Local Area Connection item and then select Properties.
Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties. Verify that under the General tab, Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.

columbia.edu

Google Windows 7 Ethernet/Wireless Configuration (Summary)

I went in and verified both the Local connection, even though the computer does not use ethernet, as well as the wireless connection. Both options are as you stated they should be.
Attached below are screenshots of both to verify (and also in case Im just misreading something and you catch my error, haha)

---

·
Registered
97 Posts
You say the ISP is Comcast.
The Router/Modem is the one provided by Comcast?
If so, can you connect your laptop to that Comcast Router and get an IP address?
In other words, can you get Internet on your Laptop from the Comcast Modem/Router?
As you probably know, the Router assigns the IP address.
Either the Router is not assigning IP addresses or the WiFi adaptor is not accepting the IP address.
I'm not a Network expert so I'm only offering what I would be looking at.
Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You say the ISP is Comcast.
The Router/Modem is the one provided by Comcast?
If so, can you connect your laptop to that Comcast Router and get an IP address?
In other words, can you get Internet on your Laptop from the Comcast Modem/Router?
As you probably know, the Router assigns the IP address.
Either the Router is not assigning IP addresses or the WiFi adaptor is not accepting the IP address.
I'm not a Network expert so I'm only offering what I would be looking at.
Joe
Im not sure I follow, are you saying I should try running an ethernet cable instead? I can do that but I know theyre not fond of cables all over the house so I'm trying to stay wireless but I can do that as a test if that would help diagnose the issue

·
Moderator , Security Team
873 Posts
These are the checks I usually go through when trying to troubleshoot Wireless problems ...

Troubleshooting Wireless Networks

1. Check that your Wireless Network Adapter is installed and has an active driver ...
    • Right click the connection Icon in the System Tray and select Open Network and Sharing Center
    • Click Change adapter settings
    • This will open the Network Connections window.
    • If your Wireless Network Connection is not present, the Wireless Network Adapter or Driver is not installed.
  2. If your Wireless Network Adapter is installed ...
    • Right-click it in Network Connections and then click Diagnose.
    • Follow any on screen prompts.
  3. If Windows cannot diagnose the problem, open Event Viewer and view the System log ...
    • Click Start and type Event Viewer in the Search programs and files box, then hit Enter.
    • Expand Windows Logs and click on System
    • In the right pane click on Filter Current Log
    • Scroll down the options in the Event Sources field and select Diagnostics - Networking then click OK
    • Diagnose any recent events to see if they reveal anything that might help.
  4. If your Wireless Network Adapter shows Not Connected ...
    • In Network Connection right click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Connect
  5. Check that Wireless Networking is enabled on your computer ...
    • Some laptops can enable/disable wireless networks using a key combination ... (on my machine it's Fn+F3) ... this does not remove the Network Adapter from Network Connections, so check you have not hit this combination by mistake. If you have, hitting the same combination will re-enable your connection.
  6. If the wireless network is security enabled ... check you have entered the correct password.
  7. If your Wireless Network Adapter shows the name of a wireless network (rather than Not Connected), you are currently connected to a wireless network. This does not necessarily mean you have been assigned an IP address or access to the Internet though, so ...
    • Right click on the Wireless Network Adaptor and select Disable.
    • Right click on the Wireless Network Adaptor and select Enable
  8. Move the computer closer to the wireless access point to determine whether the problem is related to signal strength.
This is not my area of expertise though, so If none of these work, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for one of the Networking guys to come along and help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im not sure I follow, are you saying I should try running an ethernet cable instead? I can do that but I know theyre not fond of cables all over the house so I'm trying to stay wireless but I can do that as a test if that would help diagnose the issue
I'm saying that you might try to connect to your father's Comcast Network using your personal laptop or phone and get Internet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm saying that you might try to connect to your father's Comcast Network using your personal laptop or phone and get Internet.
I have done so, it works fine with my personal computer (which has the same model wireless adapter as well)

These are the checks I usually go through when trying to troubleshoot Wireless problems ...

Troubleshooting Wireless Networks

1. Check that your Wireless Network Adapter is installed and has an active driver ...
    • Right click the connection Icon in the System Tray and select Open Network and Sharing Center
    • Click Change adapter settings
    • This will open the Network Connections window.
    • If your Wireless Network Connection is not present, the Wireless Network Adapter or Driver is not installed.
  2. If your Wireless Network Adapter is installed ...
    • Right-click it in Network Connections and then click Diagnose.
    • Follow any on screen prompts.
  3. If Windows cannot diagnose the problem, open Event Viewer and view the System log ...
    • Click Start and type Event Viewer in the Search programs and files box, then hit Enter.
    • Expand Windows Logs and click on System
    • In the right pane click on Filter Current Log
    • Scroll down the options in the Event Sources field and select Diagnostics - Networking then click OK
    • Diagnose any recent events to see if they reveal anything that might help.
  4. If your Wireless Network Adapter shows Not Connected ...
    • In Network Connection right click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Connect
  5. Check that Wireless Networking is enabled on your computer ...
    • Some laptops can enable/disable wireless networks using a key combination ... (on my machine it's Fn+F3) ... this does not remove the Network Adapter from Network Connections, so check you have not hit this combination by mistake. If you have, hitting the same combination will re-enable your connection.
  6. If the wireless network is security enabled ... check you have entered the correct password.
  7. If your Wireless Network Adapter shows the name of a wireless network (rather than Not Connected), you are currently connected to a wireless network. This does not necessarily mean you have been assigned an IP address or access to the Internet though, so ...
    • Right click on the Wireless Network Adaptor and select Disable.
    • Right click on the Wireless Network Adaptor and select Enable
  8. Move the computer closer to the wireless access point to determine whether the problem is related to signal strength.
This is not my area of expertise though, so If none of these work, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for one of the Networking guys to come along and help.
Unfortunately no luck here either. The "Diagnose" function returned me to "You havent connected to a network, click here to do so" which returns the same errors of 'unable to connect to the network'
Disable/re-enable'ing the adapter did not fix the issue either.

I have double checked the password used, I am completely sure that its being entered correctly.
As for #8, it does show "not connected", it cant get far enough to obtain and IP I guess.

Attached are some screenshots of the Event Viewer logs (and the wifi connection still displaying its error) to hopefully help clarify

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
"I have done so, it works fine with my personal computer (which has the same model wireless adapter as well)"

Have you tried your adaptor connected/installed on/to your Father's computer to see if it connects?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
"I have done so, it works fine with my personal computer (which has the same model wireless adapter as well)"

Have you tried your adaptor connected/installed on/to your Father's computer to see if it connects?
I did try that, i even uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers when testing on both his, and my, adapter. It still did not work in his computer, but works fine when returned to mine.

·
873 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think they're using a Linksys WUSB6300 AC1200 Wireless-AC USB Adapter.
So, the Router works with a different computer.
The adapter works with a different computer.
A different adapter does not work with the original computer.
It's not the adapter.
It's not the Modem/Router.

So what are we missing?

OK so let's try a few things. (wild guessing)
Using the device manager, uninstall the Linksys and any other adapter that you see from "Network adapters" with the adapter plugged in. (Save a screen shot first)
Restart and check everything has been reinstalled.
Hell, at this point, I'd be vex enough and uninstall all!!

Attachments

·
873 Posts
Since problems occurred during an update (at least partially), might be worth running a sfc /scannow to make sure that there's no file corruption on the computer that's giving problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since problems occurred during an update (at least partially), might be worth running a sfc /scannow to make sure that there's no file corruption on the computer that's giving problems.
Welcome to the stress party! I had to google that one as I had never heard of that before, attempted to follow a guide by Microsoft support on the matter. Attached are the two things I ended up getting. TLDR it appears that, uh, nothing is wrong?
(The first one isnt sfc/scannnow but it was in the guide so I tried it anyway.)

Unsure if this is important, if I mistyped it, or anything.

Anyway heres the scf scannow

|

It appears that everything is the way that it should be?
Im baffled, to be honest. Still no network connection.

·
873 Posts
OK, I guess the next thing to do then is to ensure that the updates you attempted to install get fully installed. So try to install them again.

If they still won't install, try downloading and running the following tool ....

If you have a 32 bit system ... Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Microsoft Download Center
If you have a 64 bit system ... Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Microsoft Download Center

... then try installing the updates again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, I guess the next thing to do then is to ensure that the updates you attempted to install get fully installed. So try to install them again.

If they still won't install, try downloading and running the following tool ....

If you have a 32 bit system ... Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Microsoft Download Center
If you have a 64 bit system ... Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Microsoft Download Center

... then try installing the updates again.
As noted, I have done those steps. Here is a snippet of the update screen. (And I have tried restarting, as the error requests, to no avail.)

As for the tool you linked, I downloaded it and ran it as requested.
Was hoping that would do the trick buuuuut....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts