Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two computers a network enabled printer and a netgear router. They are running Win XP...thsi will be my first time networking.. I can network the Printer no prob.. I wish to learn how to net work the 2 comps. They also need to share files. Just one folder.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi stuaz,

im assuming you already have the network setup good already so im gonna skip that. setup as in connecting the two computers to the lan ports of the router and your broadband connection to the wan port of the router.

since you want to share files with both computers. you will need to go to my network places -> click no setup and small or office network -> click on next -> a before thingy popups up and then click on next.

since you have a router, make sure the selection in the middle is selected. the middle should say something like this computer will connected to a gateway..........something, something sorry. then if you choose to setup both computers on a workgroup network, make sure both computers have the same workgroup name.

also if you have a firewall on both computers, you will need to add computer's #A Ip address in the trusted zone on the firewall of computer #B, vice versa. to find the IP of both computers, go to start -> run -> type in "cmd" without the "" and then type in "ipconfig/all" without the "" when the black window shows up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...sounds simple enough! Is there any software/hardware that will allow me to montir these comps from a remote location and perhaps like step in and take control if the user is having difficulties?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.