Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i'm looking for a specific answer here, and i hope that it isn't too complicated of an answer.

i can get a great deal on some wireless network adapters, and i was wondering, is there a way to set up two wireless cards to work as a lan, or is a router needed?

i'm thinking that i could set them up like i would with a crossover cable?

i need to get one for my laptop anyhow, to utilize hotspots, but to lan it to my main pc, will i need a wireless router?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Walt,

I assume you could somehow use the cards in Ad-Hoc mode????? but if your goal is to have a network, I would get a wireless router for your home network. You can use it as a router or a wireless access point depending on how it is connected and configured. Much less of a headache than playing games outside the sandbox!!

Since JohnWill is "the cheapest guy in town", I would suggest looking at his post for the $2.99 router after rebate!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=67452

JamesO

·
Registered
118 Posts
What he said. It's a great deal, it'll get you going, and even though the router's only Wirelss "B", you can upgrade to a Wireless "G" router in the future if you find you're doing a lot of high-volume disk sharing or something.

At $2.99, you can afford to just throw out the old router!

- The Inspector.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
InspectorGadget said:
At $2.99, you can afford to just throw out the old router!

no can do, the current router is a low latency gaming router...

anyhow, i can't disturb the lan at this house in any way.

the reason i asked, is that i can get these network adapters for 4$ each.

now, i am getting one for my laptop, if i get a second one for my main pc, can i link them together?

i don't mean to be rude, but i am not going to get another router.

so, i suppose i am asking johnwill this question:

"can i set up two wireless cards to work as if they were on a crossover cable?"

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Walt,

Just hang the wireless router on the current router and configure it as a wireless access point. Should have no impact on your other connections through your current router.

JamesO

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
see, part of the reason i was hoping to be able to do this was for total portability.

i wish to be able to use my laptop at various locations, some of which already have a hotspot, some don't.

at some of the ones that don't, there is a pc, and they have no problem with me putting the USB wireless adapter into the back of their machine and setting it up, and then i could unplug it, and later, it would automatically work with no setup.

then i could have this usb wireless adapter in my laptop bag, and i could just plug it in when needed.

of course, i an getting the pcmcia one for my laptop, but the USB one for the "carry around" one.

because of wanting to use it at many many locations, a router doesn't fit the bill.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If you configure the wireless NIC's in AdHoc mode, they'll connect to each other, just like a crossover cable. It will ONLY be a point-to-point connection, and you'll have to change the configuration to connect to standard access points. For the configuration management, you could look into something like NetSwitcher.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thank you thank you guys.

now, i am off to read about adhoc mode...

i'm glad this will work out the way i hoped, it means i can carry my own hotspot with me to anywhere i can plug in my USB stick wireless adapter.

:)

anyone happen to know what ad hoc stands for?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Function:adverb
Etymology:New Latin, literally, for this

: for the particular end or purpose at hand and without reference to wider application or employment *a special member appointed ad hoc according to the problem being considered*

Function:adjective

: made, established, acting, or concerned with a particular end or purpose *a coordinated policy instead of ad hoc decisions* *an ad hoc commission of inquiry*

:smile:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, my vocabulary sucks.

i didn't know it was a word, i thought it was an acronym for something.

i should go back to school.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.