Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got cable(via Comcast if it matters). I'm using a DCM202 router. It has, on the back, the cable in, power, USB, and ethernet. I want to get the internet to another computer, so here is my question.

I'm using the USB, and the ethernet is unused. I was going to run a crossover from mine to the other computer, but would it be possible to run the cable from the unused ethernet on the router to the other computer?

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
The DCM202 is a cable modem, and only one connection can be active at a time. You need a broadband router to share the connection. I wouldn't screw around with ICS if it were me...

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
ICS requires you to keep the "host" computer on all the time, it slows the secondary connections, it has difficulty working with many non-PC network devices, and many PC applications. ICS is also frequently problematic to get running at all. Should I continue? :smile:

I'm somewhat confused. You have broadband and multiple comptuers, yet you can't afford to spend $15-20 after rebate for a broadband router? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Point out a good router for $20 and I may look into it, I was under the impression they were around $100+.

Also, once I finished making the cable and getting the computers networked, ICS worked with pretty much no problem.

Granted, the secondary computer will be used mainly for internet surfing, while my main is what I will be downloading/gaming on.

I just didn't know really anything about ICS, so I had assumed it was the best option if I didn't have a capable router.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah thank you sir, will help a lot.

A final question, to use that router i'd just go from my current router to that one, then to the other computers?

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
Once again, the DCM202 is a cable modem, not a router. Yes, you connect the Ethernet from the cable modem to the WAN port of the router, then connect your machines to the LAN ports of the router.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.