Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am currently trying to configure my company network to make every computer here be able to use all of our printing and sharing, etc...

We have a T1 line, 2 ethernet switches, and 2 wireless routers.

The main wall has the T1 line, an 8 port switch, and a 1 Belkin Wireless N Dual-Band router. The router has no other connections but wireless. It feeds to two computers out in the shop portion of our building. The main design room as an Ethernet cord feeding off of the switch outside into the room with a Linksys N Dual-band router. Now our Primary printer is wirelessly connect to that.
The linksys router automatically changes the IP addresses to the default 192.168 style.
Now what I'm trying to accomplish is setting up the network so every wired and wireless computer is on the same network gateway. I need every computer to be able to access the work groups for different printer sharing, and share folders. I am planning on putting a Wireless Ethernet Switch into my shop to hook up 3 machines for the main design computer which as I previously stated is on the linksys router with the other IP address.

The new wireless switch will be feeding off of the Belkin router in the shop. I'm not sure if that wireless ethernet switch can pick up the wireless signal or if it works as a router. I haven't used one or purchased it yet.
Basically the design computer in the far side of the offices needs to be able to connect to the three machines on the switch which is on the other side of the building to send data to run parts,etc...I don't know enough about networking to get this working properly.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
You need to properly assess the physical topology. I can assure you it does not go
T1--->8 port switch
it goes
T1--->router
Otherwise your ISP would have to bridge their network to yours and supply you with dhcp ips. That is far more expensive/less secure to do ie renting ips from the isp.

To achieve what you want to do you can't use wifi routers as routers. This creates multiple gateways and isolates those pcs connected to the down stream routers from the upstream pcs/network

To address this issue you do the following
you assign the wifi router a static lan ip
you disable its dhcp server
you connect it by its lan port not by its wan port

Your first stop though is to determine what is providing the base dhcp scope.
Then you plan your ip plan. It would look something like this

routers/managed switches 192.168.0.1-15
servers 192.168.0.16-25
lan dhcp scope 192.168.0.50-150
reserved for future use 192.168.0.151-254

Once you figure out/correct the physical topology, you can get everything in the same subnet which will then allow printing and sharing throughout to work

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the T1 line runs directly to the switch, the switch runs to all of our phones and the first router. The first router has nothing hard wired to it as it is for wireless use in the shop only.
We have a PBX system that runs our phones through the ethernet, and the phones have an ethernet out to our computers that are hardwired. The design computer has no phone and is wired through the 2nd router. DHCP is disabled on all routers.

Our PBX phone system is our base dhcp scope. We cannot disable dhcp on it as it will stop our phones from working.
We don't want to have to purchase any more equipment. I have 3 etherner switches, 2 routers, and 100's of feet of cable. I just want to be able to accomplish getting all computers able to read from the same workgroup of our main computer with our shop system and main printer. And the other necessity is getting our 3 Mazak machines to connect to that as well. They can all be connected with ethernet to a hub, that I want to wirelessly communicate with the main router so we don't have to run 150 feet of cable across the building.

Right now my printer is wirelessly configured to the linksys router which only controls 3 computers. But no other computers can use it because it is not on the same subnet because of the belkin router.

If its possible to set this up with the equipment I have, if you could please explain the steps I need to take to succeed in networking my building properly. If what you said above is the correct way, I will attempt that tonight after everyone goes home.

Thank you.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Why didn't you mention the phones in your first post? Don't you think that might have been important? :)

"the switch runs to all of our phones and the first router"
it would have to be a layer 3 switch which means its a router also.

"We cannot disable dhcp "
Wouldn't ask you to. You should know what the scope is though and this should be documented.

"The first router has nothing hard wired "
is it connected by its wan port or lan port to the main switch?
As outlined above it should be connected by its lan port

"Right now my printer is wirelessly configured to the linksys router which only controls 3 computers. But no other computers can use it because it is not on the same subnet because of the belkin router."

Already laid out how you fix that.

"so we don't have to run 150 feet of cable across the building. "
that is a bit far for wireless especially if there are walls/equipment between the two points.

"I just want to be able to accomplish getting all computers able to read from the same workgroup of our main computer"
You don't mention what you are using for your "main computer" but since you don't mention "server" I have to assume its a workstation.
You do understand that a workgroup with a workstation is limited to 10 concurrent accesses? This again assumes a pro version of the workstation OS though if win7 the count is higher.

Looks to me all you have to do is correct the wireless router hookup so it lets dhcp flow thru it to its connected devices.

You really really need to know what class subnet you are using and what the dhcp scope is. You could get this all working physcially but not have enough ip addresses. You never mentioned a total of ip devicess on the network.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.