Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too be honest, if I knew what was wrong.. I wouldnt be here.. I am not sure if this is hardware or software related.

But for whatever reason.. I cannot download a single thing. I can surf, chat and recieve files through IM programs.. yet when it comes to downloading files off websites, I always get.. an error screen with three possible reasons I got the message.. none of which are true... "Not being connected to the internet" Well obviously I had to be connected to get to the website in the first place... "The Website Might be experiencing difficulties" ... every website I try to download something off of just HAPPENS to be having trouble? I dont think so.. "Mistyped the address"? dont think so.. I clicked the links...

Now I tried setting my laptop up to be wireless.. and now trying to set my gaming computer up to be wired... I have a linksys 802.11g/b router.. wireless/wired...

I am just immensely frustrated because the moment I get my laptop.. this happens.. and I cant fix it.. I think it could be the way I tried to set the networks up in both of the computers.. or could be firewall problems.. but I had both disabled.. and tried them enabled too.. no such luck... this is my last ditch effort before I just say screw it and reinstall windows.

So is there anyone out there that knows what could be causing my downloads to not work? (I tried in IE7, Firefox 2.0 and IE6)

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
does this happen on both the laptop and the PC? if so, then there might be an issue w/ the router. next question is did you setup both computers w/ the same options? ie make a ghost image of one and put it on the other?

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Do you have DSL or cable? If you have DSL, perhaps the MTU size is set incorrectly in the router. Typically, it's 1500 for cable, and 1492 for a DSL connection using PPPoE. If you're using DSL with a 1500 MTU size, you'll experience slow browsing and aborted downloads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I have Direcway, so.. its an always on connection.. secondly I thought it might be the router as well.. so I removed the router from the situation and ran the direcway modem directly into my gaming computer.. still had the problem.. now both computers are set up exactly the same way.. curiously...

Last night it started suddenly doing this around 12am midnight... then around 3am.. it suddenly just started working again

My downloads just stopped working again.. I am tempted to say it is my ISP.. but ive never had any trouble like this before.. so I am really at a loss what to say..

Anything I can try? or do? short of calling them?

·
Registered
103 Posts
what type of technology is direcway? if it is cable or DSL then I would call them and see if there are any issues in the neighborhood. I had a similar situation w/ Time warner cable. they finally admitted that there was a problem w/ the cabling and that they were fixing. they wound up refunding me a month's worth of access fees

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Direcway is actually a satellite connection.. very little wiring envolved, cept for the modem being wired to the dish outside on the back of the house

Ive checked everything I know to check on that, my connection and single strength is fine (54.. which is pretty good)... now it did it again last night.. and low and behold when I awoke this morning, downloads were working again.. might have to just give them a call.. but unlike direcTV's customer support.. Direcway (which is owned by hughesnet now) customer support sucks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
it sounds like a signal interference problem. they may not be able to do anything about that. here in Texas there is a company called starband (I think) that is supposed to be really good.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
I hate to say it, but this is very likely the ISP, your symptoms don't sound like a normal issue with your local configuration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.