Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
networking - How to share printer - please help...!!!

Respected Tech Gurus,

Please help me with following:

There are two computers A and B (say).(They are in two adjacent rooms)

A has windows advanced server 2000 OS.
B has windows XP professional OS.

HP laserjet 3015 is connected to computer B.

Now I want to take printouts on Hp laser jet printer from Computer A also at times.

I understand that this requires networking.

However, I am NOT a very computer savvy person and therefore need help.

I have purchased CAT 5 cross over cable and Compex 8 port switch.

Also computer A has two NICs - one onboard Intel 865 and another extra Dlink.

Also computer B has one NIC.

Now please say me someone step by step how do i network the two computers so that I can:

1. share files
2. share printer
3. share internet connection

Please explain me step by step assuming that I have to do networking of my own and I have never done it before but ready to do it now.

please guide.

Thanks and best regards

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

·
Registered
31 Posts
What you are asking for is easy to do, but legnthy to explain, especially if you want step-by-step. I suggest buying a book on home networking. You can also find this information on Technet.

Technet.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's what I would do if your hp laser jet is network-able. Buy a router and hookup your laserjet and all your server and workstations to this router then turn your windows 2000 server into a print server.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sunandoghosh,

Dapunisher is right about this process being fairly lengthy. Most of the time there are various issues with setting up a small LAN like the one you have described, requiring extensive troubleshooting to find out the cause of the problem. Having some fundamental knowledge of networks would aid you in troubleshooting problems easily and quickly. Its always good to use forums to ask questions when you are stuck but I would suggest some guides or tutorials first which can be found on the web (or books, mags, etc).

Also, I would take into account what ljCharlie said, since a router dramatically reduces the work required to setup a network. But not quite sure about turning your windows 2000 machine into a print server. Most HP LJs I've seen come with a JetDirect card. There should be a RJ-45 jack on the printer that you can stick one of those CAT 5 cables into (this it eh JetDirect card). If you have one, then you can actually hook the printer up via CAT5 to the router and it acts as a network printer (note: you still have to setup the printer on each machine). This way, you don't need a machine to be constantly on for others to print stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.