Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a peer to peer network set up with Win 10 on all computers.
Computer #1 cannot access #2's shared folder going through the open file dialogue option on any program that I try. I also cannot save a file onto #2 computer using the save option in any program from #1. I cannot see computer #2 at all.
If I open windows explorer in #1, I can open the file or copy/move any file to or from #2.
What am I missing?
I have computer #3 that has no problem opening or saving files from/to #2 through the dialogue box.

Thanks,
Bilbo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, all of the computers are on the same workgroup. The business ok button is not highlighted because nothing changed. In file explorer I can see all of the computers except #2, the one I’m having trouble accessing.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,000 Posts
If all computers aren't using the latest version of Windows 10, update. Also: Control Panel>Programs & Features>Turn Windows Features on/off>Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature>OK>Re-Boot.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,262 Posts
Are all your Advanced Sharing settings in Control Panel>Network & Sharing center set to the same on all computers? Private network, Turn on file & printer sharing and preferably with password protected sharing.
  • On Computer1, go into File Explorer and enter the path for computer2 to make sure you can access it.
  • Open a program and try entering the full shared path for computer2 into the location box, like \\Computer2\share\filename. Does that work or do you get an error.
  • Please do not enable SMB1.0 - that's an old, outdated, insecure protocol and it presents a security risk.

·
Global Moderator
51,596 Posts
There are tons of reasons that all the computers don't show up, and there are also tons of pages that suggest a bunch of fixes.

One of many pages. Network Computers are not Showing Up in Windows 10

One of the first things I do is try to ping all the computers in the workgroup and see if they're all at least visible at a basic network level.

Win-X, A, and then type PING <computer-name>

·
Global Moderator
51,596 Posts
It sounds like a master browser issue, a very common complaint on peer networks. Apparently, this has happened with several of the Microsoft updates over time.

·
4,262 Posts
Fred,
When I type in the full shared path, I can find the files in the shared folder.
Are the settings I mentioned all configured the same way correctly on all 3 computers?
Go into your Advanced Sharing settings again and Turn off Network Discovery. Restart the computer then Turn On Network Discovery again. That's an easy way to restart the necessary services.

I'm pretty sure MS deprecated the Computer Browser service in Win 10 with SMB 1.0 and uses different services for computer discovery.
If that doesn't help, I'd flush your DNS and map a drive letter to PC2. Open a command prompt and type: ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.
Right click on your Network icon in file explorer and map a network drive to the share on PC2, even if it's temporary to test.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are the settings I mentioned all configured the same way correctly on all 3 computers?
Go into your Advanced Sharing settings again and Turn off Network Discovery. Restart the computer then Turn On Network Discovery again. That's an easy way to restart the necessary services.

I'm pretty sure MS deprecated the Computer Browser service in Win 10 with SMB 1.0 and uses different services for computer discovery.
If that doesn't help, I'd flush your DNS and map a drive letter to PC2. Open a command prompt and type: ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.
Right click on your Network icon in file explorer and map a network drive to the share on PC2, even if it's temporary to test.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Fred,
That did it! Restarting with Network Discovery turned off, then turned back on solved the problem....

Thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fred,
Same issue came up today. I could not access computer #2 through the file open or save function.
I applied the same fix as before and it worked again. It appears this is a recurring problem.
Bilbo

·
4,262 Posts
Click your Windows Start button then type "Services" and check the 4 services below on both PCs.
DNS Client
Function Discovery Resource Publication
SSDP Discovery
UPnP Device Host
Make a note of their current settings then double-click each service and change their startup type to "Automatic".
Reboot and see if you can find computer 2 again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fred,

Computer #1 had the SSDP set to manual. All others on all other computers were set to Automatic. I changed #1 to auto and rebooted. Still cannot find the computer.

·
4,262 Posts
That's strange. Some of the services are set to manual by default, but changing them to Automatic won't hurt. I forgot to say - make sure those service are listed as Started under the Status column. Also, add the Function Discovery Provider Host service to the list of running services.

Open a command prompt and type Net View do all the computers on your network show up?
Do all the Win 10 PCs have all their Windows updates installed?
Have you installed any new software or changed anything prior to this happening, like antivirus software, etc. firewalls, etc, using multiple routers or switches? Everyone on the same Workgroup name and using the default DHCP settings - not static IPs, custom DNS, etc?
What happens if you try to map a network drive to PC2 on PC1, can you access files on PC2 through a Z: drive?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fred,

My Win 10 computers needed 1 upgrade. I upgraded them.
All required services are auto and running.
When I try to map the network drive to PC2 on PC1, I cannot access the files on PC1. Or vice versa.
I cannot access PC2 from PC1, PC3, or PC4 through the open or save dialogue boxes. I have shortcuts on each of them that can open up files on PC2.
PC1 has not given administrated privileges to any computer.
I can access files on PC3 & PC4 from PC2.
I can access files on PC3 & PC4 from PC1. (I want to access PC2.)
I can access files on PC4 from PC3. (I want to access PC2.)
I can access files on PC3 from PC4. (I want to access PC2.)
PC1, PC2 & PC3 are running Win 10.
PC4 is running Win 7.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All the computers are on the same network.
I'm having trouble finding if they are on the same workgroup. I cannot find it by:
Windows 10 users

1. Press the Windows key, type Control Panel, and then press Enter.
  2. Click System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. The workgroup appears in the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings section.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is unusual is that I can access PC2 through PC1, PC3, & PC4 using existing shortcuts that have been on the desktop for some time. As long as I use those shortcuts, I have no issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts