Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im kinda new at this, so take the lingo easy on me please. i have to take 18 new dell computers and network them to a single laserjet printer. We have a network that all of the computers can log into, but can't get a printer shared by all computers. would i have to get another server and create a new network just for this lab? (by the way, this is for my school, im sorta the schools admin.'s assistant)

ravager

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
HP JetDirect print servers are nice boxes if it will support your printer. Also check and see if your printer already has a network interface, if not many have slots for plug in print servers.

Networking it with a static IP address is my suggestion.

JamesO

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi ravager,

are you guys on a workgroup network or domain. im not a networking guru but but you will need to install the drivers for the printer on the other computers that are not hook to the computer.

it makes it easier by purchasing a print server but i dont know the network on your school.

hmmm.....for a workgroup networking, assuming you already have the printer hook to computer #A and installed the drivers for it, you will need to go to computer #B and install the printer as a network printer. then you will need to do the same for computer #C etc.etc.etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.