Well, I reinstalled XP today and it's working again (for now). My setup, lets see, Athlon XP 1800+, 256 MB ram, 3Com NIC, Norton Internet Security. How it's networked, standard home networking thing, the way the wizzard set it up. Host IP 192.168.0.1, client is dynamic now, I usually assign it to a static IP. I don't know what started going on with my system, it worked great for about 9 months. It's just been the last 2 or 3 months that it has been giving me headaches. As long as this new installation doesn't mess with me, I will be happy for a while I guess. What other information would you need? I would like to attempt to discover the root cause of this problem sometime. Thanks.
My 3com gateway would have to be reset everytime I shut the system and laptop down...final fix...new mother board has a wake on lan...so thier is always a connection to the gateway....other then that it s a peice of..:upset:
I am connecting one client to another host. Two systems only connected via a switch. I did try unplugging the switch to reset it and that didn't work. When it would stop working I would tryto ping between either one and get nothing. If I ran the network setup wizzard, everything would be fine until I rebooted the host. The client always worked with no problems at all. It was always my host system that has the internet connection on it. I feel like I am not being very explicit here, sorry.
A forum community dedicated to tech experts and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about articles, computer security, Mac, Microsoft, Linux, hardware, networking, gaming, reviews, accessories, and more!