Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon to all,

This is my first post on this forum so please bear with me as I paint a picture of how our current setup works. We have recently taken over a business with an existing IT setup. That setup is a server with 2 PC's running XP. I have been told that the server is running a domain if that makes any sense.
We have just purchased a new Dell PC with Windows 7 Professional and I need to connect this to the server/domain to access our database and Quickbooks files. The office in which this new PC in doesn't current have a network point so I am running it wirelessly through a Linksys router.
The network setup up looks like this, we have a Brighthouse modem which is plugged into a Linksys Firewall Router, this router plugs into a 8 port 3com switch which in turn runs into each office into a network point. One of the offices (the most central one to the building) then has another 4 port switch running of that network point to which a wireless router is plugged into, allowing me to get wireless throughout the office.

So I hope that paints a picture. Please help me get thiw machine onto the domain!

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Hi Dan Iggulden and welcome to TSF!

I think that you've explained it well. For a business, even it's small, especially you have a database sharing off your network, it's best to be wired with a Domain Controller environment. It's just a thought, or is it a mixed of wired/wireless network? Everything will run smoothly with no disconnection issues as well.

Please provide an ipconfig /all for me to further assists you. To do this:
click on Start => Run and type the word cmd on the blank field. From the black screen, type the word ipconfig /all and please post the results here. Right click on the black screen choose Select All and Paste the results here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be all wired eventually but we are branching out into new offices which dont yet have network points in so I'm having to use wireless as a short term fix. Thank you so much for helping me. Below is the paste.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Accounts>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Accounts-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : zonsolar.local

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : zonsolar.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB Ada
pter(rev.B)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-01-A6-4C-1A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::71a4:7738:d90b:8b6e%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:01:34 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 04, 2009 12:01:35 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301999105
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-A7-5F-C4-00-25-64-9E-24-ED

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.44.104.5
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connec
tion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-64-9E-24-ED
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A141E03F-A34F-445E-8746-7C912E53DC48}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.zonsolar.local:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : zonsolar.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Accounts>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just as a side point too, I'm not sure if having the wireless router plugged in off a switch is a good setup? Will I maybe have to change the wireless router settings so that is doesn't allocate a new IP address?

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Hi,

First, make sure that you do all Windows Updates as well Anti-Virus and Anti-Sypware on the new computer, this is very impt.

Give me a few, I'm working on it.

Alright, first...you'll have to add this user in your AD Users and Computers in your Server of course. Will this user going to be in a OU or Organizational Units such as Accounting Dept. Sales Dept, etc.? Here's a simple guide.
http://www.visualwin.com/New-Computer-AD/

Then....you may join this user to your domain by doing this, let me know if this is not too confusin for you. Please do not assign Static IP, leave it on Auto IP, as well as your DNS.
http://www.elmajdal.net/Win7/Joining_Windows_7_To_Domain.aspx

Let me know if it works.:smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'Alright, first...you'll have to add this user in your AD Users and Computers in your Server of course. Will this user going to be in a OU or Organizational Units such as Accounting Dept. Sales Dept, etc.? Here's a simple guide.
http://www.visualwin.com/New-Computer-AD/'

Help!! What does this mean?!? The PC will eventually be one of several accounts machines but for the immediate future this will be the only one in our accouting dept.

The server currenty sits on its own with no monitor or keyboard or mouse attached so bear with me as I try the steps you have posted. I will be back!

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
You may create an OU and call it Accounting Dept if you wish, the purpose of creating an OU is if you wish to apply GPO (Group Policy Object) in the near future, to restrict Users for harming the network, files or is/her computer. If you don't want to create an OU that's fine, just a suggestion. You may just follow the guide that I gave you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I have a totally different problem. I cannot log onto the server! The old business owner doesn't know the username or password to get into SBS2003. Is there any way around this?

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
That will be an issue, when you connect a computer for the first time to join to a domain you will need the server's LOGIN info also. Best is try your best to get hold of your previous IT Consultant.

Unfortunately Forum rules:
We will not provide any user with information about the location of websites that assist with the following activities

software pirating
hacking
password cracking
keystroke recording software

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought this was going to be an issue. We know the password, as that is maintained across all the systems, we just don't know the login name. This is going to be difficult to fix!

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
There are various ways of locating the Username. Please try any of these.

1.) If you are running an Exchange Server, look into your Outlook's Global List
2.) If you have an FTP account, this is another place also
3.) If you have a Backup server, another Windows server, you may look under AD Users and Computers
4.) If you have a POP3 email account, locate one of the massive email sent out to everybody in your company.

I hope that this is helpful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately none of the above has helped. I have had a local IT guy come to look at it and he can't get access either. So I have a problem! I have a business network which I cannot manage! Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
At this point, I recommend for your to hire an IT Prof. and make sure that he'll be able to help you out and what you'll be paying will be worth it.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
You are quite welcome. You may always come back here at TSF anc check out Threads for future resources. I hope that you're able to resolve your issue.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
wow much more work then you need.

Just add the computer to the domain

Control panel, system, change settings (under computer name section)

Put in your domain name. if your domain is "YourDomain.local" put that whole " " in the box. No quotes
put in your domain administrator username/password.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
hook up a keyboard, monitor to the server and that will tell you the username

But most likely it's administrator

And so you know, by default you can join a computer to the domain, using any AD username. Every user is permited to join upto 10 computers.

But if you don't know the domain admin password .. this is the least of your issues.

If

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.