Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi dudes

I have a pc desktop running windows xp and I just recently bought a mac running Tiger 10.4.2. I want to try to set it up so that I can access my documents that are on my pc from my mac. If possible, I would like to remotely open them, too, for example, use my mac to play mp3s on my PC through the pc's speakers. this second part isnt so vital but would be cool.

my internet/networking setup is like so: cable internet connected to a cable modem, connected to a linksys wireless router, with all the computers in the house sharing the wireless connection. i dont know much about networking but i think the router is ip 192.168.1.1, and the computers are all 192.168.1.xxx with some number like 101, 102, 103, etc.

can someone lead me through it or point me to some kind of tutorial for this kind of setup? thanks very much!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Do not know if this is possible without additional hardware??

One way this should work with with a Network Hard Drive, like NetDisk

They support, PC, MAC & Linux and need a small application that sits on each machine. They cost about $1 per GB if you can find a good deal.

At the moment Radio Shack has some 120 GB units on close out for $120 if you can find them.

I do not have a MAC, but I have a 160 GB network drive that is a nice addition to my network.

JamesO

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
more help w/ settings

So I've found information on the hardware I need and what to do. My problem now is I don't know where the settings come from. My IP is dynamic since I've behind a router, and so I guess my next step is to set up a static IP. These settings: IP ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK, ROUTER, DNS, etc.

Isn't that kinda backward...I need an IP address so in order to do that I need to provide an IP address?? I especially dont get that part...

edited note: I've been looking on my ISP's website to try to figure out how to get a static IP and I think maybe its not possible? I have time warner roadrunner and they say its not available for home use. Is there a workaround?

Thanks for any help,
Rich

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You can assign static private addresses as needed (192.168.x.x). No need to deal with the ISP or cable company. Just make sure they are outside your DHCP address pool.

JamesO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.