Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the project I am working on. We have three bars that we would like networked together. They are in different locations several blocks away from each other. Each location has it's own internet access so we would'nt be sharing a connection or anything like that. The main uses for the network would be a dedicated email server and possibly an inventory database.

Here is the question. What is the best method to implement this?

My thinking right now is a central computer at one of the locations with the other two computers connecting via Remote Access. However the other two computers would be laptops and need to be connected wirelessly through a wireless router at the two satellite locations. Is this veasable? Or should I be looking at a VPN for this? Any tips and pointers would be helpful as well since I'm pretty much a noob. Or any resources you could point me to would be great. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF.

In terms of having one computer act as an e-mail server and database, and two laptops as "clients" at satellite locations, yes it does work. You may, however, have issues with the laptops on occasion when using wireless - interference and congestion could affect the connection at busy times. In these cases you "may" consider having it hooked up via a wired connection. This all really depends on the wireless (Does the bars' wireless double as public hotspots? Is there excessive interference at certain times?).

In terms of security, your best bet would be to use VPN connections to the main computer you're using as the server, especially if you're using wireless. Afterall, it is nobody's business but yours to read your e-mails and see your inventory and its use. Remote Access does work too, although it depends on the security of the program and protocol used.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.