Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a problem with my network, its set up using a router, to computers are connected to the router and we use it to share the internet. the problem is only 1 computer can acess the internet, the other computer cant at all. dont know y this happen, just one day i loaded up and it wouldnt work, no one has been able to help me and its so annoying.

noticed that if i change the ip address on the computer which cant acess the internet to the one which can then the computers itnernet will start workin, but this stops the other! very strange.

both comps are on win xp sp2. both have netgear network cards (same model) and the router is a netgear dg814.

thanks, hopefully some one can finally solve this problem

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
I'm going to guess that you disconnected the router for some reason, and then connected it all back up, and this problem surfaced. This is the classic sign that you have the broadband modem connected to one of the LAN ports, and not the WAN/Internet port.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
do you have the broadband connection on the wan port of the router and the computers connected to the lan ports of the router? if yes, then your setup is correct.

hmmm as for your problem, on the computer that cant access the internet, perform an "ipconfig/release" and then "ipconfig/renew." on your desktop click on start -> run -> type "cmd" without the "". then when the black command prompt windows shows up, type in ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew afterwards. also try and see if you can ping the other computer that can access the web by pinging the ip address of the working computer.

another thing you can do is to open up network neigborhood -> click on view network connections ->and then right click lan connection and click on repair.

good luck and post back if you need more help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, the router has a built in modem. it only has four lam ports and 1 rg45 port for the internet to go into. it is set up correctly that way. as for right click and clicking repair i have tired this, still nothing is workin.

thanks for help so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Router Mode

Hi,

have you checked to make sure that the router is set up to use NAT?

If this is not set up then the router will pass through your single internet address to the first PC that connects.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.