Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

hope you can help. I have a wireless work xp laptop that I use in a wireless network at home, and also to access my office via a vpn connection (cisco vpn client) with a domain account. all works fine. i also have a pc which is connected directly to my adsl gateway. its a standalone machine, part of a workgroup with the same name as the domain on the laptop. my question is how can I see/copy files between the 2. they both have correct ip addresses (both with a 192.168.1.x address with the same subnet and dns addresses, the gateway/router being the dns server). i added the server details to each others hosts file, no luck. This is when it is NOT connected to the VPN.

both machines are xp. I have disabled firewall on the pc (sp2) and there is no firewall on the laptop (sp1).

I am in a position where i can now ping the pc from the laptop, and see the c drive. i can also copy files from the pc to the laptop. however, i cannot even ping the laptop from the pc, let alone copy files. and if i try to copy files to the pc from hte laptop, i get access denied messages.

to me its an authentication issue (one a domain machine, one a standalone). i just don't know how to get around it. can anyone help?

Cheers

·
Registered
282 Posts
As for the ping issue - Do you have norton internet security, zone alarm or any 3rd party firewall installed on the laptop?

As for the "Access Denied" error, are you using both the same username and password on the laptop and the desktop? It could also be some domain policies, I would ask your network administrator at work and see if he is restricting anything on the domain policies. Even though your computer is not in the office and connected to the domain it retains the policies if I remember right. Once you join a domain with a computer it retains all of the policies it received from the domain controller the last time it was logged into the domain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so xp sp1 is disabled, so not that..

there is nothing running except symantic av and ad-watch antispam..

so def confused about the ping only working one way..

i am using the same username and password, only thing i need clarification is does the pc need the pc name or the workgroup to be the same as the domain name, i thought it was the w/g, but the pc seems to show the logon details as pc name\user.

finally, is there any way for me to check the specific policy setting - i can bring up gpedit, but most settings are "not configured" - any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just another thought - using a linksys gateway, any bearing on things? firewall etc..although things are working in 1 direction.

·
Registered
282 Posts
disable the norton av and the antispam and see if you can ping it. Better yet start in safe mode with networking and see if you can ping it, if you can then there's something that's running on that computer that's preventing you from pinging it.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You have something blocking ICMP (ping) requests, the top suspect is always a firewall or other "protective" software. You need to work your way down the list of firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware stuff installed until you get through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i've started the pc in safe mode with networking, and i'm still not able to ping the laptop...

one thing to add, when i try and open the c drive of the pc from the laptop, i am asked to use an account to login - but the username is greyed out with the pc name\guest account as the default. so i have had to enable this account. once i put in the correct password, i can see the drive and copy files from the pc to the laptop, but not vice versa. any reason why it would be greyed out, and with the guest account?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also,

does the workgroup for the pc need to be the same name as the domain for the laptop, or is it the pc name that needs to be the same..

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
It sounds like you are using the domain to connect at work,and it is working.
So the workgroup needs to be the same for the home connection.
File and print sharing needs to be enabled.
You need to right click on each drive you want to share,click on sharing and
enable sharing on the drive.
If you don't want to share the whole drive,you can do this with individual
folders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so the workgroup is already the same name as the domain.
sharing is enabled - on both machines.
as stated, can ping and see the pc from the laptop
cannot ping or see the laptop from the pc

whilst the pc c drive is open on the laptop, can copy files from the pc c drive to the laptop but cannot copy a file from the laptop to the pc, "access is denied" message.

basic problem is as stated before - cannot PING the laptop from the pc.

both in the same subnet (192.168.1.x), connecting to a linksys router, laptop is wireless.

no firewall on either is running - have run in safe mode with networking, no s/w running and still not able to ping..

Its the ping thats getting me here, can't understand why..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.