Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a laptop connected to my desktop PC using an ethernet connection. The Laptop runs XP Pro, the Desktop XP Home. I have had this network running successfully for several months. The Desktop is connected to the internet and the laptop connects to the internet via the desktop. There is no separate router. Both computers could see and copy files from one to the other.

I recently had a nasty virus on the laptop. In the course of removing it, I lost the network. The Laptop reports 'limited or no connectivity'. Trying to repair the connection tells me it is unable to renew the IP address. Trying to do this using IPCONFIG tells me that it is unable to connect to the DHCP Server.

I have had the cable checked at a local PC store, and they tell me it is okay.

As a last resort, I backed up my data and used the system trestore disc to scrub everything and return the laptop to the state it was in when it was new. I assumed this would remove any faulty files by completely deleting everything and installing from scratch.

However... I still get the same problems.

While being a reasonably literate computer user, networks are to me a black hole of mystery. I have searched the internet in vain - most solutions assume there is a router involved.

Is this a hardware problem? Is the problem on the laptop or the desktop? Is the DHCP Server on the laptop or desktop? Where do I go from here? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
normally a PC wont give out DHCP, just set your IP to be static on the laptop, I am assuming you used the internet connection sharing wizard originally to begin with, so your desktop should have a IP something like 192.168.0.1. use that for your laptops gateway, and give the laptop a IP of say 192.168.0.2 . the subnet will be 255.255.255.0 and the DNS you can probably get away with using the gateway number also. to verify your desktops ip pull up the dos prompt, and type ipconfig /all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I am getting somewhere.

My PCs both talk to each other, but the laptop cannot connect to the internet through the desktop. Any advice on this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) The laptop cannot ping the address you gave.

2) ICS is turned on.

3) I redid the local network on both computers to ensure all the settings are right.

4) It is not a firewall problem as I have been unable to connect if I turn all firewalls off.

Anything more I can try?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.