Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a dual tray Dell 1700n laser printer. It is connected to an 8 port Netgear switch via a cat5. We have a server named server and 3 workstations named station1, station2, station3.

The printer has a browser in which I can tweak the performance settings. I statically assaign it an IP of 192.168.x.15. My server is static at .2, station1 at .3 etc.

I install Dell's software on the computer. I then go into my printers folder and add a printer. As I am adding it, I set up a local port to a standard tcp/ip port, pointing to 192.168.x.15 I then setup my printer on that port using the Dell drivers. I call it report. I then setup another printer to the same port and call it contract. I then go into the contract properties and install the optional 2nd tray and in printing prefrences tell it to print to Tray 2. I share both printers.

I put blank paper in the top and preprinted paper in the bottom, I print test pages to each and both come out succesfully. Now the fun part.

On each workstation I set up 2 network printers, \\server\report and \\server\contract. I verify that the contract is set to point to the bottom tray. I print a test page to the report printer, it comes out on the blank paper, so far so good. I test the contract to print to the preprinted iin the bottom tray, and it comes out of the top on the blank paper! This happens on all work stations.

I have tried unistalling and reinstalling from scratch. I have tried only installing one printer going to the bottom tray and it still happens. I am able to get around it by setting up the port locally on each workstation then instaling a printer, pointing it to the bottom tray.

I know it will work , because I have installed this same setup on dozens of my stores (whereas X= the store number) and have had no problems. I setup 2 of the printers this week and have had the same problem at both.

I have called Dell and was on the phone for more than an hour and we couldn't get passed this. Any suggestions?

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am bumping this, but I can move to printers if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.