Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to print to this printer using a USB network print server, but was not able to add a printer (OS WIN XP) using the supplied CD driver. Just wonder if it is possible? or is there a driver I can use to add this printer?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
What is the make and model of the print server?

Does the print server have a static IP address?? I would highly recommend a static IP address for the print server.

I generally do not install the OEM software if I just want to print. Go to add new printer. Select local printer, unselect detect plug and play. Create new port, choose standard TCP/IP port. Enter the IP address, choose the printer vendor and hopefully the printer model will be displayed. If not, you can download the "basic" driver set for the printer.

JamesO

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
You will find the Basic drivers HERE

Hp do not support networking with this printer but the above drivers worked for me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys.
Per HP support Doc, in order to print to this printer from network client station, you have to use the HP deskject 3420 driver to emulate. I tried this approach but find out the printing was not good enought. Also, the WIN ME version driver would not install on ME client machine.

I finally find a way to trick the system to set up this printer to print to the USB print server (It is a cheap $15 AirLink) using the true hp psc 1310 series driver. Since there is no .inf printer driver file (windows always look for this driver file when you want to add a printer) came with this printer driver, I had a hard time adding this printer using the normal way to add the local (IP/TCP port) printer.
What I did was first install the CD that came with the printer to the client machine (install the basics componet and tell the installer to connect the printer later). After finished the CD installation, then go to control panel to add a printer using one of the HP printer listed in XP. For example, I use my USB server IP and Port with HP deskjet 500. After I finshed adding the printer, I went back to printer properties, Advance tab, under driver click the down arrow to chose "hp psc 1310 series" and save. This driver was installed in the first step from the CD.
This method also work with the WIN me machine and wireless connected laptops on the same network.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.