Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

In trying to connect a firewire network I have managed to destroy my whole LAN.

This is what I have "A" computer connects wirelessly to router.
"B" computer connects hardwired to router.
"A" computer, completely seperate and with no sharing connects to cable modem.

"A" computer can ping "B" computer and router. "A" computer can see all "B" computer's shared files/drives.

"B" computer can ping router but NOT "A" computer.

In both computers I can't access work group called "home"... access denied.

Both computers are XP but there is a 98SE laptop which also used to connect to the network via wireless. Can't currently check if it still will but suspect not as the name of the network "home" can't be accessed by other computer.

Tried deleteing and reinstalling all adapters.

Tried installing a different network through wizard... no difference

Manually set "A" 192.168.0.1 and "B" 192.168.0.2

No XP firewall enabled. "A" has firewall which specifically permits LAN IP range.

All sharing enabled.

It's like there is a corruption somewhere that all the things I have tried don't reset.

ANy ideas?

Dins

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Home" is the name of the workgroup, not a specific computer. Couldn;t quit follow you directions through to netwrok on my XP machine. But I haven't change any computer names.

dins

·
Registered
108 Posts
_dinsdale_ said:
HI All,

In trying to connect a firewire network I have managed to destroy my whole LAN.

This is what I have "A" computer connects wirelessly to router.
"B" computer connects hardwired to router.
"A" computer, completely seperate and with no sharing connects to cable modem.

"A" computer can ping "B" computer and router. "A" computer can see all "B" computer's shared files/drives.

"B" computer can ping router but NOT "A" computer.

In both computers I can't access work group called "home"... access denied.

Both computers are XP but there is a 98SE laptop which also used to connect to the network via wireless. Can't currently check if it still will but suspect not as the name of the network "home" can't be accessed by other computer.

Tried deleteing and reinstalling all adapters.

Tried installing a different network through wizard... no difference

Manually set "A" 192.168.0.1 and "B" 192.168.0.2

No XP firewall enabled. "A" has firewall which specifically permits LAN IP range.

All sharing enabled.

It's like there is a corruption somewhere that all the things I have tried don't reset.

ANy ideas?

Dins

i suggest changing the whole Network name to something like "castle" on all computers.

Next make sure that all computers have the same protocols.

tcp/ip
ipx/spx
netbui
as well as file and printer sharing enabled.

run the wizard for each one.

other than that make sure you have all the latest windows updates as well as adpater (NIC) or Wireless adapter drivers.

-slick

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
It might help to reset the WINSOCK and TCP/IP stack to installation defaults.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
notsobizzymofo said:
i suggest changing the whole Network name to something like "castle" on all computers.
How do I do this? Change an existing work group name? I can't find the original work group anywhere.

Next I ran the wizards on both computers and did as you suggested stating with a new name. On "A" computer... which can ping everything, I can find the work group. On the "B" computer which can only ping the router claims that the new network group has no permissions and won't display. Under network places there is a dead shortcut to "A" computer and no reference to itself as a member of the network.

notsobizzymofo said:
Next make sure that all computers have the same protocols.

tcp/ip
ipx/spx
netbui
as well as file and printer sharing enabled.

run the wizard for each one.

other than that make sure you have all the latest windows updates as well as adpater (NIC) or Wireless adapter drivers.

-slick
yes to all these but still no further progress.

Another thing I have noticed which may or may not be connected is that systray icons come and go without reason or logic.

The arrangement of icons is different after every reboot ie some are missing, sometimes my ISP logo is there instead of a windows network icon, sometimes nothing but this difference or absence doesn't reflect the true status of the service which works fine.

thanks for your suggestions so far but still need ideas.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
johnwill said:
It might help to reset the WINSOCK and TCP/IP stack to installation defaults.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log
Did as you suggested JW but made no obvious difference... and even as I speak the tenuous connection "A" computer made with "B" computer has fallen over. I am left with both computers being able to ping the router and that's it!

Dins

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
The fact that the computers can't ping each other is a clear sign that a firewall of some sort is active. Are you SURE you have disabled and/or uninstalled ALL firewall products?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm back in the game!

You were right JW it was a firewall thing. Somehow XP on "A" reset its windows firewall... it must have something to do withreinstalling a network adapter or somthing because I DEFINITELY disabled it but there it was back on automatic.

On top of that the firewall from Mcafee was configed to allow the LAN IP range but it needed to be checked! Doh!

How this all came undone I don't know. But it's working now!

Still some strange things persist: can't access the workgroup by name, but this doesn't prevent the two XP machines talking... will it muck up my 98SE machine when I get it back to try?

Unpredicatble things happen in the systray... different after every reboot... though the programs seem to load alright, they sometimes won't load their icon into systray or load a differnt icon. Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help so far.

Dins

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ran Adaware, spybot, spyware blaster and Mcaffeeeee virus scan all with the most upto date definitions etc.

Found a couple of less-than-critical things which I removed. No viruses etc. The problem still persists. Not critical just annoying.

Dins

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
A bandaid to fix workgroup issues with W98 in the mix is to install NETBEUI protocol on all machines. It's easy on W98, and for XP, here's the method, and a link to the necessary files in case you don't have a CD.

To install NetBEUI on Windows XP:

Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive (close the Autorun window) and use the explore option from a right click of the drive in My Computer then go the \Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.

Copy Nbf.sys to the "Windows"\System32\Drivers folder.

Copy Netnbf.inf to the "Windows"\Inf folder (hidden: change the View Settings). (Where "Windows" is the name of the folder that windows is installed in) Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.

Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties .

On the General tab, click Install.

Click Protocol, and then click Add.

Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.

Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.

The NetBEUI protocol should now be installed and working.

If you have an OEM installation or don't have the XP CD, you can also download the necessary files from:

NETBEUI Install Files for XP

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks JW,

The network seems to be working fine and stable so I'll rain check the other protocol... this whole thread has been terrific so I'm archiving it to paper in case of later mishaps etc.

The whole drama started while trying to install a network connection between two computers using Firenet/firewire. I wanted the speed and had the hardware, but I've lost all confidence to try it again... I'll find another way.

Meanwhile, those pesky icons continue to play up.

cheer

dins

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
new information

In exploring my icon problems wiht my A computer I downloaded a taskbar tool from Kelly's website.

With this tool I disabled SSDP and uPNP services. I got all my systray icons on the A computer back, but lost networking with the B computer. I can ping B from A and A can't see B using Netwrok places. B can see A via networkplaces.

There was also someting about autologon.

any ideas?

Dins

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.