Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I honestly have no idea the exact section it would go into. It is, however, a network related issue.

We have an SMC7004VBR router with three computer connecting to it and our internet comes in through a happy little cable modem.

I tried setting up some port forwarding on it which didn't end up working for what I wanted it to do. About this time our internet started dropping out every ten minutes to two hours. All we had to do to get it working again was restart the cable modem.

Thinking it was the port forwarding doing it I undid any changes I made to the port forwarding tables. This didn't help. We reset the router back to its default settings, this didn't help. Heck, I formated my computer and it stopped for a while. I've reinstalled a lot sofar so I don't know if it may still be something on mine ... anyway.

The router seems to randomly lose its IP address and can't connect back to our ISP to get a new one. I'm just trying to fathom whats going on here. I feel like I've already talked to much so its time for me to get some input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.s.

I asked a couple other people and they sujested updating the firmware on the router. I've done this and I'm just waiting to see if that helps. So other than that if someone's got an idea I'd still love to hear it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It may also be your ISP.
Most of the big boys are increasing their speeds to keep up with the demand.
I personally have Comcast and lately, my connection drops, at their end, not at my end.
However, you cant get them to admit that they are working on it or a tech is working on a switch and has not told anyone.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Interesting, I recently got the Comcast speed increase, but the service has been quite reliable since then. I've had a few issues over the years, but I haven't seen any adverse effects of their new 6000/384 service in my area.

FWIW, I would certainly upgrade the firmware in that router, because I used to have the same one, and it would drop the connection every week or so, and resetting the router would bring it back. New firmware, and it ran for months with no issues after the upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.