Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, suppose I'll start with the system specs:

Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon XP 1.53gHz
320MB ram
3Com network card (PCI)

Now the long confusing road to the question. My problem probably started several months ago with the computer unable to start the Server Service. I didn't know it at the time, but other network problems happened then, and my recent discovery of the non-functioning server service (svchost.exe and srvsvc.dll combo) matches the symptoms from back then. At the time I was using a Netgear PCI to PCMCIA wireless card combo. My attempts to remedy this included a fix suggested at several sites (including Microsoft) to replace the above mentioned dll file. This did not solve the problem.

The actual problem with the server service was discovered when I attempted to connect to my laptop with a crossover cable (successfully, for the purposes of a PXE boot) only to have the desktop be unable to share files.

The wireless card has since been removed, and attempts have been made with three different network cards (including an onboard SIS Network card, A realtek based card and the now installed 3Com card). None of these cards are able to obtain an address automatically from my router. If I set the IP address manually (including notating my router address as the 'gateway', the network connection section shows the connection as working. However I can't connect to anything, including the router at 192.168.0.1.

Reading up on this problem, I found a couple of individual applications that were supposed to reset the TCP/IP stack and rewrite some values in the registry to fix the problem. It did not.

Next step was to take my XPPro CD and run a reinstall (used as an update rather than a full install). This did not fix the problem. However at this point I did check to see if the server service starts and it did.

The last step was to run a full overwrite install on the computer. This completed around the time I go to sleep, so I managed a quick check and was able to connect to the internet. YAY FIXED!

When I booted the computer today, it would no longer connect to the internet or retrieve an IP address, and I was right back in the same boat. Again I have tried setting my IP address manually to no luck.

I removed the router from the equation and connected right to my ADSL Modem, and got the computer to successfully connect to the internet. Now you would think that maybe my router is cooked for wired connections, but I have tested the router by connecting my Laptop to it by wired connection (with the same cables I am attempting to use with the desktop) and it is able to obtain IP addresses and connect quickly and with no errors.

Soooooooooooooooo, what are my options that I may have overlooked?

Cliff notes:

-computer gets no IP address or internet connection from hard wiring to a router
-router will connect fine to other computers both wired and wireless and dish out addresses
-have reset the router to 'default' also with no luck
-computer will connect directly to ADSL modem fine
-several different network cards tried with same results
-reinstall of windows gives apparent fix, only to not work after reboot

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! :4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is a grounding issue with the machine which is affecting the router, but not the modem. You seem to have covered most of the other possibilities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The router is physically sitting on top of the computer in question. That wouldn't cause a problem, would it?

And to get it on the net again (since the Server Service problem is solved) I threw the Netgear wireless card back in it. However when I have some time to kill, I may experiment more with the wired connection, as one of the intended purposed of this computer is to stream local TV over the net to a friend. The wireless cards don't seem to be the fastest for large data transfer.

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
Yep, wired connections will run rings around any currently available wireless solution. As far as the router on top of the computer, it's easy enough to move it and see if that changes anything, right? :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually with my limited power plug and phone jack availability, it's not too easy at the moment, but I will give it a shot later on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.