Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Linux and I was wondering if you could help me out with a problem. I installed 8.0 on a duel boot computer. As the Linux o/s is booting up I am receiving the following error "Determining IP information eth0 failed: no link present-- check cable". I know the cable is OK because it works fine on W2K O/S. I am using DHCP for my IP address settings but when I look under my system settings and click on network it states status as inactive. Any clues on what I have to do? I would like to access the internet and e-mail but I can't because of this problem. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What I did to solve my problem is I went into network config menu and editted the profile to statically set IP addresses and manually setup the ip address, subnet mask and default gateway address, instead of using dhcp. I then rebooted my machine and as it booted up I didn't get any errors. I went back and used ifconfig -a and lsmod. All of the output looked like it suppose to:

inet addr:192.168.0.# bcast:192.168.0.# mask:255.255.255.0
rx bytes;11506 (11.2 kb) tx bytes:1200 (1 kb)

lsmod output: 3c59x size=30640 used=1

and I can ping local hostlocal host 127.0.0.1 but i still couldn't use internet or e-mail. Do I have to do something in order to se the internet? Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotissues68,

I can ping my gateway without problem but I can't ping my router.

Any ideas what the problem is and what I can do to solve it?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.