Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just joined, and was having some problems with trying to hook up my other computer to my router.. I bought a Belkin 4-port wired router, and the computer that I'm on, works just fine on it. I tried to hook up another computer of mine, (Computer B), and I successfully got that working after re-installing the driver for that network card. THAT computer was too slow, so, I took that one off and it's no longer connected.. So, I decided to try to hook up Computer C to it. It has a faster processer, and more ram, so, ya, that was a better choice..

OK, Computer C, *had* Windows 98 SE on it. I don't have any of the disks for it, and, when I was playing around with the Control Panel -> Network settings, it was totally messed up.. it looked like someone just added a bunch of connections that didn't belong there.. SO, I don't even know if that network card that was on the list, was even the right network adapter.. Well, it said it was a 3Com Fast Etherlink 3c905b-tx.. So, I assumed that was the correct adapter, and so I tried to get the driver from the 3com website.. Well, that didn't work too well, cause I still didn't get it to work.. I was following some directions from somewhere, and I MAY have screwed up the regedit! It told me to delete some things, and I don't think I did that right..

I installed Windows XP Pro on Computer C, to see if it would be any easier.. Well, when I run cmd, then type in ipconfig/all, nothing happens.. I tried that "ipconfig/all > c:\ipconfig.txt", and all that pops up in the txt file, is the same thing that pops up when I run ipconfig/all.. Which is nothing!

So, anyone have any ideas? Or have I screwed it up completely!? :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:( A whole day, and no one has any suggestions? I saw someone mention a factory restore on a different thread, and for a different problem, but, they didn't mention how to do that.. I asked, but no one responded.. So, Maybe that would help me.. So, if anyone knows how to do that, or has an idea on how to fix it without having to go that way, I'd appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
If you have a 3com card it is labeled very clearly on the card. If it is built into the motherboard, post the make/model of computer or motherboard make and model and we will see if we can help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a Dell OptiPlex GX1. I opened the case, and the ethernet port, goes straight into the motherboard.. So, ya, it's built into it. doesn't say what it is though...

·
Registered
96 Posts
The dell optiplex gx1 uses a nic driver that you have to get from dell

That is the correct card for that computer. get the latest driver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.