Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi,
I have a problem regarding my windows 2000 server edition, the LAN icon at the system tray gives a "network cable unplugged" 5 or 6 times a day, in a random way, i have changed the cables manytimes, no use, the porblem is it's the server, i can not ask the users to logoff manytimes, so anybody has a clue about whats happening ?

I forgot to say that i have a ADSL connection, with a modem and router, would it be the router?

thanks.
rami

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You could have a flaky NIC, flaky port on the switch or hub, or excessive Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) in the environment. Make sure your cabling isn't going by any large power source like an engine or motor or near any phlorescent lights.

Can you check the port on your switch for errors? Check the stats on your NIC for errors (besides link failures).

Change the port on the switch. Change the NIC in the server.

HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I guess I have many things to be done, thank you anyway, and I will refer to the solution as soon as I find it.

thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this same problem on a Windows 2000 Server. However, in my case, the server already has two NICs so I have the option of trying them both and it happens on both, so it is not a hardware issue. It could be the switch, although no other users have this problem. It seems to only occur during large *uploads* of data from the server. I'll keep working on it and post a solution when I find one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem here on a WinXP system. Sometimes the"cable is unplugged" twice in five minutes, then i have no problem for hours. When it happens the ethernet led on my modem (Cisco 575 LRE) goes off and on. I found it happens more frequent when uploading. I know pretty sure the problem isn't caused by my two NIC's or the patch cable.

Setting the NIC on 10Mbps Half duplex solved the problems for some others, but not for me.

I don't know what causes the problem, but it freaks me out. Please post here when you get any further, I will also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well arkat, sounds like you gave a solution out, which helped me alot, and proved how dumbass i was! I already have a 10mbps switch, so it would be the NIC, so I fixed the speed from "auto detect" to 10mbps half duplex, working fine so far, I will keep you posted I hope, thank you very much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"network cable unplugged" again :/
I am lost with this case, is just new for me, but i will display the whole case, so if anyone has a hint, please help:
1. ADSL Line, alcatel modem, working fine, ZYxel router "pristege 304" with 4 10/100 ports, which keeps going off and on once the upload is getting much more, would it be a hardware failure from the router itself? or i have to change the subnet mask of the LAN?
2. switch 24 ports, 10 mbps, working fine.
3. a server with 1 ethernet card, 100mbps, auto detect.

I have been told to add another ethernet card to the server, but I have reached a stage that i can not think anymore, please help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.