Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting the message that a network cable has been unplugged but I have checked all the cables and they are fine. This has been happening for a few days now and I really need some help to try and fix it - please! The operating system is windows xp sp3 and it is a wireless connection. I don't really know where to start with this as I have a very basic knowledge of computers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying to my query so quickly. Unfortunately this doesn't help the problem as I cannot connect to the internet at all. Our service provider recently changed our internet modem to one with the wireless connection built in and for a few days the internet was working brilliantly. Then, the message started flashing up that the network cable was unplugged. I also have a problem with the cd drive not working (cannot see this drive at all any more). It was while I was trying to sort out the latter problem that the internet stopped connecting so I'm wondering is there a connection? I hope you can shed some light on this problem as I'm completely baffled. I should add that my husband's computer which is in the same room as mine can connect to the internet no problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last time the connection worked was approximately 5 days ago. We bought a new printer and while trying to set it up to my computer I realised that the cd drive wasn't working. While I was looking for the drive on the computer the wireless connection on my computer stopped working.

The command prompt is as follows:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name: M3CADPC2
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Broadcast
IP Routing Enable: NO
WINS proxy Enabled: NO

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Dhcp Enabled: YES
Autoconfiguration Enabled: YES
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only network adapter that is showing is Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller. I tried a System Restore but is doesn't seem to have resolved the problem.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
You have mentioned that your issue is Wireless isn't it? You will be looking for a Wireless Network adapter. Most of the integrated ones are called Atheros, Intel, these are just example of the Adapter brands. Yours might be different.
I think I may have to download a driver. What exactly do I need to look for - the network adapter driver or is it called something else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just on the dell website - there are three drivers which seem to be what I am looking for - do I need to download them all and can I download them on my husband's computer, save them and then transfer them to my computer? I should add that my cd drive is also not working!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.