Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem:
Ethernet based network device keeps reporting "Network Cable is Unplugged" even though a cable is plugged.

Specs:
Internet: DSL
Modem: Westell 327W
Network Controller: Nvidia nForce Networking Controller
Laptop Model: Acer Aspire 5520

Ok besides this being a lousy laptop (touchpad is wonky, but that's a whole other story.. and oh yes, Z+X+Left keys can't be pressed in combination), I haven't had much problems with the networking until recently, recently.

If I return the laptop from hibernation, sleep, or a restart, the network adapter reports "Network Cable is Unplugged"

To fix this, I have to get up, and walk to my modem;
restart the modem, and then go back to my laptop, and viola,
the "Network Cable is Unplugged" error goes away.

Now, I've tried different cables, so the problem is definitely not the cable.
Nor is it the port I plug the cable into on the modem (I tried all four ports).
I do have other computers on the network, and they all connect fine to the modem.

It seems to be that the network card fails to wake up/start up, unless it gets a signal from the modem.
But the modem doesn't broadcast that signal, unless restarted.

Disabling/enabling the adapter does nothing because the physical network card seems to be in deep sleep.

So I'm wondering if it might be a missing option in my modem.
The only recent changes are the fact that Verizon requested me to reset the modem, and the problem spawned not long after that.
So I have a hunch that it's related.

Although, my brother has the same laptop, and he reports that he has the problem too, but he always uses wifi so he doesn't remember when he checked (if it was before the Verizon modem reset or after)

The damn thing used to work fine, but now I have to keep physically resetting the modem.

Also, changing the duplex/speed/tinkering with the device adapter options did nothing

Mod edit: Remove profanity.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts
Please leave the profanity at the door in the future.

Look in Device Manager and make sure that any power saving options are disabled for the adapter in question.

Another thing to do is make sure you have the latest drivers for the network from the laptop maker's site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My error on the profanity

The drivers are up to date, and my brother is experiencing the same problem since he has the same laptop.

I wish I had kept notes of when this started going wonky.

If I look on the modem, the LED for the ethernet port that the laptop's plugged into, flashes sinusoidally.
Whilst the other ethernet port LED signifiers stay at a solid green.

My hunch is that it's the modem being incompatible with my laptop's network card in that, around a week or so after doing the factory reset on the modem, the problem started appearing.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts
Well, if you have two machines doing the same thing, I'd be looking for common causes.

After it comes from standby and has the issue, please post this.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output!

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.