Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have a Laptop which is currently connected to a wireless router. I also have a PC sitting next to me with no internet as it obviously has no WiFi.

I would like to bridge the connection to my PC so it can access the internet.

I've failed, i've been trying for a while now. After bridging I can access my PC from my laptop but on my PC I can't do anything and I can't access the internet on the PC.

I've attached an Image to the post to show it clearly what is happening.

It only says "multiple networks" for about 1 seconds then just goes back to "Unidentified network". On the router, My PC shows up under the dhcp ip list with my laptops MAC address. So my PC is listed with my laptops MAC but my laptop isn't listed at all.

Help will be hugely grateful.

Cheers,
Bountyhuntr

p.s I have a cross-over cable. Only thing i've done is connect the cable between the laptop and PC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can pick up a USB wireless adapter for under 10UKP; go on treat yourself!
Cheers for reply, I'll look into that as a last resort, I don't know anything about them, the range etc.

My problem should be easy to solve for people that know about networking or have bridged before. I'm not a network guy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Right, I've just used ICS(Internet connection sharing) and my PC seems to of connected straight away. Does this effect any other PCS apart from my laptop and my PC, I'm sharing it on the laptop to the PC. By this I mean, if my laptop is not on(sharing the connection) can other PCS apart from my pc that is shared by thernet cable access the internet (via the router like normal).

Would somone give me info on ICS (differences to a bridge, speed and how it works etc)

Cheers.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,366 Posts
ICS creates a NAT translation layer, so the subnet that the connected machines are on is different than the computer. You're essentially turning your machine into a poor man's router. This is a problem if you are trying to port forward, since you'll have the router's NAT layer as well as the ICS NAT layer. For normal Internet access, either bridging or ICS will work.

Bridging simply logically connects the two connections and allows traffic to come from either computer, each computer appears as a separate logical connection with a separate IP address to the router.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ICS creates a NAT translation layer, so the subnet that the connected machines are on is different than the computer. You're essentially turning your machine into a poor man's router. This is a problem if you are trying to port forward, since you'll have the router's NAT layer as well as the ICS NAT layer. For normal Internet access, either bridging or ICS will work.

Bridging simply logically connects the two connections and allows traffic to come from either computer, each computer appears as a separate logical connection with a separate IP address to the router.
Yeah my laptop basicaly is, but it's only acting like a router to the computer that is psycicaly connected to it? Doesn't do anything to the other machines connected to the actual router through wireless or ethernet cable?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.