Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a netgear wgt624 v3 router and am on virgin media broadband and using windows vista. I have had problems off and on for about 8 months now. It started when it would cut off every now and again then went into local only and I rang virgin and they said the modem was fine and their end was fine. So I rung netgear and they got me to start from scratch and set up a new network and it worked fine for a few days before it would cut off randomly again and need turning off then back on.

Now it has done this for a long time, and I play online poker so it is annoying when I am playing for thousands and get cut off with 10 people left in a tournament.

There is a desktop, 2 laptops, an xbox 360 and a wii connected to the network. Although the wii is broke so hasn't been used for a bit.

About 2 months ago when I got my desktop computer I couldn't download anything because when I tried it cut the internet off and I had to turn router/modem off to get it back on but if I tried again the same happened, the same happened when I streamed any videos. Then one day it started working fine and I could download stuff and stream videos, but now it has gone back to how it was and I can't download anything or stream any videos.

Would appreciate any help as it's really frustrating.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
I have a netgear wgt624 v3 router and am on virgin media broadband and using windows vista. I have had problems off and on for about 8 months now. It started when it would cut off every now and again then went into local only and I rang virgin and they said the modem was fine and their end was fine. So I rung netgear and they got me to start from scratch and set up a new network and it worked fine for a few days before it would cut off randomly again and need turning off then back on.

Now it has done this for a long time, and I play online poker so it is annoying when I am playing for thousands and get cut off with 10 people left in a tournament.

There is a desktop, 2 laptops, an xbox 360 and a wii connected to the network. Although the wii is broke so hasn't been used for a bit.

About 2 months ago when I got my desktop computer I couldn't download anything because when I tried it cut the internet off and I had to turn router/modem off to get it back on but if I tried again the same happened, the same happened when I streamed any videos. Then one day it started working fine and I could download stuff and stream videos, but now it has gone back to how it was and I can't download anything or stream any videos.

Would appreciate any help as it's really frustrating.
Hello guitey,

How many computers have been affected by intermittent disconnection? Only 1 or all computers?

Please try these suggestions:
Power cycling your Modem and Router might resolve the problem.
1. Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer. Wait for a minute.
2. First, turn your Router off and wait for a couple of minutes.
3. Turn off your modem.
4. Disconnect all the ethernet cables that are connected to the router and modem and the PC.
5. Reconnect them and ensure that there are no loose connections in between them.
6. Now, switch on your PC and let it boot.
7. Switch on the modem first and after it gets initialized, switch on the router.

If Power Cycling wasn't helpful at all then try these:
1.) Click on Start, right click My Computer => Properties => hardware tab => Device Manager => find your Network Adapters and expand it. right click on the Wireless Adapter and choose Update Driver. If you have an ethernet driver CD for your Wireless adapter have it ready. Choose Uninstall then re-install. Normally your Windows will do a Plug N play auto install for you, but just in case you might have your CD driver ready.

2.) This link is very helpful as well => http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Ok, I power cycled, then went to the update drivers and did that. Do I need to uninstall after I just installed the new drivers?
You may try connecting to the Internet first and see if you are getting good connection for at least 2 hrs. Then post results here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just cut off now, 11.45pm, I am playing poker on 2 different sites, I have google chrome open and holdem manager, a poker tracking tool running. There is a laptop turned on downstair but not being used. I turned modem and router off for a minute and turned them back on and it is working again for now.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Just cut off now, 11.45pm, I am playing poker on 2 different sites, I have google chrome open and holdem manager, a poker tracking tool running. There is a laptop turned on downstair but not being used. I turned modem and router off for a minute and turned them back on and it is working again for now.
Now, change the Channel of your Router, log on to the Admin Control panel of your router, what is your router's IP? you'll find the info from ipconfig /all. It shd be something like 192.168.0.1, this IP will be typed in the IE browser.

Pls. follow this direction: click on Start => run and type cmd on the blank field. From the black screen, type ipconfig /all and please post the results here. Right click on the black screen choose Select All and Paste the results here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am on channel 6 right now. Haven't changed it. What channel should I change it to?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Stu>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Stu-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-B1-9C-3D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1942:ab19:2018:1293%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 November 2009 12:02:51
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 29 November 2009 12:02:51
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218109759
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-66-53-A9-00-24-8C-C2-21-FA

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-8C-C2-21-FA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{392B1D02-FC50-4EF8-A1F4-0B5A4B104
630}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Stu>

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,313 Posts
Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
changed to channel 5, tries to download a poker site and kept getting cut off every time I tried, so now on channel 7. Will try download some stuff later as i'm in the middle of something now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I defo need a new router and wireless adapter? I don't want to go buy them and then have the same problem. Sometimes this works fine it changes day to day.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Also, when it cuts off and says local only, when I right click and click diagnose and repair it says DNS settings error or something like that.
Okay, try assigning a Static IP then see if this helps. Do you know how to do this? I can help you if you can provide me with the ipconfig /all info of your computer.
click on Start => run and type cmd on the blank field. From the black screen, type ipconfig /all . Right click on the black screen choose Select All and Paste the results here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.