Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Netgear wireless b/g router WGR614 v.6, firmware version V1.0.11_1.0.7NA. Often when a laptop connects to the router, the speed ramps down to 18 Mbps. If I go to the router management page and change the channel I can usually get it to connect again at 54 Mbps. Then a week later it will connect at 18 again until I change the channel. There does not seem to be a "best" channel. RIght now for instance I am on channel 4 at 54Mbps. Last time I had to go to channel 8. It does seem like the extreme channels (1, 2, 10, 11) are never good. It also does not seem to have anything to do with location or how many PCs are on the network at the time. I have Windows firewall enabled on all of our PCs. Disabling has no effect. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I downloaded and ran the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector program. Very cool- it allows me not only to see the other networks in my neighborhood but what channel each is on, so I can monitor that and stay ahead of any channel changes. I am betting this will solve my problems. Thanks again! Mike355

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.