Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Netgear MR814v2 wireless router and I have a Dell Dimension 5160 with Dell wireless 1350 card. Until recently I've had no problems with connecting anywhere in my apartment. Recently, unless the laptop is in the same room as the router it won't go to any websites. It will stay connected with a "very good" signal strength, but it still won't load any web pages. I can't figure out what the deal is. If anyone knows thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The key here that I see is "apartment"!

It is possible you have interference from another wireless router close by or someones 2.4 GHz telephone(s)?

I would start by rebooting your router and see what happens, then possibly change the channel and make sure you are actually connecting to YOUR router and not someone elses with a similiar SSID.

What type of Internet connection do you have cable, ISDN, DSL? It is possible you are also having problems with your Internet connection causing poor response even when your wireless is solid. Maybe you need to connect directly to the Internet modem and see what happens? Possibly you need firmware updates for your modem as well?

More details on your wireless and Internet connection would be helpful.

JamesO

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Comcast cable internet and no one has moved in or out recently near me. I have to latest firmware for the router and modem. I'm sure I'm connecting to the right SSID because I've changed the name to make sure. I'm just baffled why all of a sudden it stopped working.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Just because someone has or has not moved in near you does not preclude them from installing or using a 2.4 GHz cordless phone. Not sure this is your issue, however, this is something you cannot control or see with a wireless site survey.

Do a site survey with your wireless client and see if there is a new wireless router in the area on the same channel.

Also connect by wire to the router or cable modem and see if you have good performance.

JamesO

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda feel stupid, I changed the channel number and bam, everything works again. I don't know why i didn't think of it. Thanks for your help JamesO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.