Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When netflix switched to microsoft searchlight for streaming video my network connection reported "unable to connect to server". I contacted netflix support and they think ?something? is blocking the required connection.
I have looked at all the usual suspects, antivirus, domain and more and have not found anything to explain or fix the problem.

suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Admission: my understanding of firewalls is far less than perfect

I think i turned off all firewalls (my windowsxp has mcafee and there is the xp firewall (this is turned off in favor of mcafee). I there is some other firewall i dont know where it is....

I still get the netflix report "trying to connect to server" but unable to do so.

If i think of a way to find more "firewalls" i will try them as well

thanks for the suggestion

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,021 Posts
When you disable McAfee's firewall, the XP firewall may spring back to life.

What's the exact make/model of the modem and the router you have? Are there any other computers on the same ISP connection? Do they have the same issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try to answer some questions:
1) there are other computers that hook up through my Lynksis N router (both wirelessly and by cable with windows xp). None have the problem on my windows xp computer
2) the connection worked before netflix changed to microsoft silverlight for its streaming display
3) the idea of changing my computers "dm?" setting in the router is interesting because I dont know what that is. I will look into my router and see if i see something likely.

thanks for the continuingtrying

·
Games Team | Tech, Networking Team-Tech
3,752 Posts
DMZ
Basically, although it can be a big security risk, setting the computer in the DMZ will allow unrestricted Internet access. If it doesn't work, then I would recommend disabling it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.