Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. the computer has been working great the past month now. just today i was adjusting some settings going by a book on tweaking the bios. at first i adjusted the memory options, the Row precharge time (tRP), RAS pulse width (tRAS), and the RAS-toCAS delay (tRCD). i tweaked them lower a bit for increased performance. next i wanted to increase boot time and adjust that section, mainly the boot sequency. i made the hard disk drive primary and (i think i did) disabled the cdrom drive. after that i went to disable the floppy drive self test (was already disabled) and enabled quick boot (was already enabled). i saved and exit and it rebooted. as usual the 1 or 2 lines of GPU specs comes up, then it normal goes to the full screen Asus picture where it says "press DEL to enter bios." this time however it instead went to this screen (this is with no cd in the drive):

"Award BootLock BIOS v1.0

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting IDE ATAP device

Found CD-ROM, try to boot from it ... Fail

Detecting Floppy Drive A Media ...
Drive A Error. System Halt"

hmm. i tried popping in the windows XP cd and rebooted, and got this

"Award BootLock BIOS v1.0

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting IDE ATAP device

Found CD-ROM, try to boot from it ... Pass

Automatic Load AWDFLASH.EXE
!! ERROR - AWDFLASH.EXE Not Found with CDROM !!

ok then. i took out the xp cd and popped in the asus cd that came with the mobo, rebooted and got this on the 3rd try (after it reads the CD):

AwardBIOS Flash Utility for Asus v1.08

Flash Type - SST 49LF004A/B /3.3V

File Name to Program: A8N-SLI.BIN

Verifying Flash Memory - 0FFFF OK

Flash ROM is Write Protected

Please make sure whether lockout jumpers is set to correct or not

Warning : Program Chip Fail!

obviously i touched the wrong setting, but i'm not sure exactly what, i am guessing the memory? i would gladly change the bios back to the default/stand settings, but the thing is i cant even get to the screen that lets me enter the BIOS. the system specs are below... any idea what i can do? i'm so baffled by this =\

no floppy drive is installed on the system. it just wont boot normally, obivously the OS will not boot, it just goes to that screen and looks for a specific CD (or file or something). tried numerous times now the Clear RTC RAM jumper trick in the user guide but still nothing. removed the nickel sized battery, put the jumpers from 1-2 to 2-3 for 10-20 seconds. put jumper back on 1-2, battery in, started it up while holding DEL but still nada. still stays on that dectecting IDE ATAP device... etc and then System Halt. did that about 5 times, just see GPU lines of text as usual then it jumps straight to the screen i quoted above (first quote). can't type anything or whatnot. the keyboard's 3 Lock lights flash right before the GPU text comes up, but it doesnt seem like the keyboard works during that second screen. i even tried rebooting with no drives attached, rebooting with the cap on 2-3, shorting the posts with screwdriver, etc. out of ideas now...

system specs... Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz • ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe • XFX 7800GTX • 2GB Corsair XMS x2 • Antec TruePower II 550W • Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB • Lite-On CD52x32x52x DVD16x • Antec Super Lanboy

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I do think you have a serious problem. You have done quite a bit so the options are limited. Here are some things you might want to do or not to do, depending upon which you are doing:

1) You might want to take the battery out, move the clear CMOS jumper and wait about twenty minutes instead of twenty seconds and see if this helps.

2) You might want to never use a screwdriver to short posts on a motherboard, with the exception of the simple two wire off/on switch.

3) If I understood what you said, you might not ever want to start your motherboard with the clear CMOS jumpers in the two and three positions.

4) You might want to take all memory out and try one stick only and You must check your manual (I think this board with one stick uses Dimm3) to make sure which dimm slot you use for one stick only. Might even want to consider using another stick of ram from a friend to see if that helps, but never more than one stick.

5) You might not ever want to mess with the automatic flash method options on your motherboard. If you ever flash, you need to use the manual method.

6) You might want to consult your motherboard manual, page 4-1, section 4-1.2, Updating your BIOS to restore your original motherboard BIOS via DOS.

7) If all else fails, you might want to check a few of linderman's posts about getting your BIOS reflashed or replaced. (I just did not keep the link) He has a source he has used on Ebay that is reasonable and quick. If he does not see this, then you might want to send him an IM asking for the source. I just don't have time to look for the link on his posts right now.

Do let us know what results you get as you look at these issues and feel free to post back at any time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.