Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there ppl. I am looking to buy a graphics card that would make my computer last for a little longer.
Here are me specs:
MoBo:Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo v2 (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 630, 3000 MHz
Current Graphics card: ATI Radeon x700 256mb

So basically I would like some ideas on what graphics card would be fine with my specs. I was thinking of buying a ATI HD4650 but I dunno if it is compatible...if it isn't, something close to it as price would be wonderfull (the price should be around 100$ plus or minus 10$)

Any help please? :D

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Post the power supply make and model.

When using a standard pentium 4 your limited in your card upgrade to low end cards do to the lower speed of the cpu. Meaning any midrange card like a 4650 will just be bottle necked by the cpu. You'll most likely be looking at a x1650 or a 2400.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm sorry for asking a noob question but, I have never ever interested myself in my PSU, any ways to find out what model and make I have? (Tried the old looking in the back of the pc way...it failed)

Edit: I fail....Will have to open the case to look at my supply ...but that will be done in the morning since now I am way to tired to do this, anyway thanks for the help. I will be back with some feedback on this in about 10-12 hrs.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
The power supply info is on the power supply sticker inside the machine. It's routine to check the type of power supply your using and upgrade according to whatever gpu you upgrade to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so this is what was said on my PSU...since I have no idea what is what...I'll go and post most of the writing (it had some german stuff on it...but from my basic knowledge of knowing what is important and what not....the info in german was useless)
Anyway this is what said on it:
ATX-X
550W PFC
AC INPUT
230V,5A,50Hz

EN 55022-55024
C4M20406-1945-E-16
EN 60950//G4M20406-1945-L

Somewhere in the DC output part it said something like:
450W
max. Output(Peak) 550W

I guess I don't actually have a lacking PSU....right?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
It actually may look like you do. Especially when parts do not have a brand or model or even english on them. See if you can find it's amperage output for the 12v rail on the sticker.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
Hate to say so, but yeah. For modern computers the best way to approximate what the power supply should have been rated is to take the power on the +12V rail (20A * 12V = 240W) and divide by 0.8, which makes this a 300W power supply. If this were a Pentium 3 machine it might be reasonable to call it a 450W, but in modern computers it's a 300W. It might power something like a GeForce 7300, but that's about it.

How much are you looking to spend on an upgrade? About $100 would be best, that would get you a quality 400-500W power supply and a mid range graphics card.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah...that is basically the budget I have, I only wanna be able to play the not-so-new-games like dmc 4 (addict here) prince of persia 4.... and run aion (I can do that atm...but...it lags a lot on low-mid settings)
P.S.: I check this topic as often as I can when I can so any posts here will get response fast from me

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
Well, you're in Romania which makes it kind of hard... I don't know any online retailers off the top of my head that ship to Romania. We could throw out a few suggestions, and then you see what's available in local stores for those prices?

Suggestion 1 (best case)
Corsair VX450W power supply
Radeon HD 4650

Suggestion 2
Corsair CX400W
Radeon HD 4550

Suggestion 3
Corsar CX400W
Radeon HD 4350

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the hd 4650 is 90$ here...I know that because that was my first option...but I have no idea about the power supply. If possible, could you give some guiding prices on the parts?
Also, Ebay germany ships to Romania. That is one thing I know for sure since I have friends that buy clothing from there :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much for the help offered!
I hope that I can squeeze the cash needed to buy those. And then live a good life for another half-3/4 of an year before I look for a completely new PC.
Again thanks and cheers for the awesome support!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.