Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to migrate form a Win NT to 2K adv serv, but what kind of box do you guys think is OK. It's an office with under 20 workstations, they have a web name but not on yet, Law office with a few heavy duty apps. I want to build them one new faster mach ( they have old Dell with no guts and NT server). Their net is very slow, The server can't handle all the authnt and run the apps. Any one need a job?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Look at 3 or 4 small servers. Rule of thumb - 1 app per server. If that one server went down hard, the whole law office would be down hard as well. Whereas if your apps were spread across multiple servers it would have substantially less of an impact.

If they want to put a web site, on their own server, and you're thinking of putting everything on the same server, you better think again! Any web server that is accessible from the net needs to be a web server ONLY, IMHO. To put other apps and data on there is open yourself and your client to a world of hurt.

Especially, since they're a LAW firm. If they're files were exposed, they could be sued for A LOT

You might even need to get yourself a lawyer to draw up a contract and protect yourself from liabiity.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, true. My thought was to have a web server on the other side of a fire wall, but I was hoping to allow remote access, with encrytion and secure auth, over the net. They need access from varyied locale...I need to reread some text here.:bandit:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.