Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have gone and got myself into a mess. What I need to do is to unhide a XP ntfs partition that was improperly dismounted. The only problem is that when I try to unhide it with Partition magic it gives this http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id966.cfm error.
As you can see they say to run chkdsk/f but as it is hidden I can't do that. So what I really need is a utility that does the same as chkdsk but can see hidden partitions.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
X(

Sorry that no one got back to you on this one Transuranium,

But it looks like the people here are not to familiar with Partition Magic, I know I'm not I prefer to do the partitioning of my drives with the same program iv been using for years...it works well.

Anyway if you still even checking back to see if this problem was answered...it wasn't :) But I will hunt down the answer for you have not already found a solution for yourself. So post back and let me know if I need to go get my hunt'in boots on or not. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it would be much appreciated if you could find a solution to my predicament as I have much data that I stupidly forgot to back up and so lost. I didn't think anyone would reply as it is quite a tricky problem. I think it is the incompatability with XP and Partition Magic 6. Would you think that an upgrade to version 7 would solve the supposedly improperly dismounted partition?
Anyway, good hunting! :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use partition magic and have found it not to be foreward compatable. I would upgrade if financially possible.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought PM about a year ago and have never taken it out of the box............sheeeeeeeeeeeesh (I cant believe that) I actually bought it thinking I would be able to use it to help others. I guess I could if I would take a serious look at it huh? Duh!!!!!!!

Anyway, we have all been there and done the "didn't back it up thing".

Things like this I usually just chalk up to a good lesson learned.

Good luck,

Laffctx

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a way

Hi,
I'm reading your old Post because I've had the same issue Last week.
Let me know if the solution is interresting you after so much time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Download this file http://www.freewebs.com/computer-guides/test/gdisk.exe

use a startup diskette or any bootup floppy or CD that gets you into native DOS. Run gdisk and use the the /-HIDE switch to make your partition visible again. Run gdisk /status or gdisk (1,2,3,etc) /status first to see which partition number is hidden. you must specify the right partition.

My webhost is going down so if you can't get that file send me a message and I can email it to you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.