Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a letter naming problem. Today I installed a new hard drive, and had my old one on as slave temporarily to transfer a few files. The old drive was C, and the new one was G. Problem is, the new hard drive never reverted to C like I thought it would, and that's causing problems up the wazoo for some programs (the MySQL command line for example, startup errors trying to reference to C, which is now a non-existant drive that windows swears up and down is a removable drive).

Is there any way to change the hard drive name to c, without borxing up any more programs? This is something that needs fixed BADLY.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tonglebeak said:
I have a letter naming problem. Today I installed a new hard drive, and had my old one on as slave temporarily to transfer a few files. The old drive was C, and the new one was G. Problem is, the new hard drive never reverted to C like I thought it would, and that's causing problems up the wazoo for some programs (the MySQL command line for example, startup errors trying to reference to C, which is now a non-existant drive that windows swears up and down is a removable drive).

This may help connect the spare hdd to you cd-dvd drive and not to your 1st hdd, have it as master and the cd-dvd drive as slave ( secondary ) this will trick the pc into thinking it is just another removable drive.
This is how i have got around the problem on my pc

·
Registered
47 Posts
I vaguely remember having a similar problem, but i can't remember exactly how i solved it.

I'm not sure if this will work, but it may be worth a try. if you type 'change drive letter' into the search in windows help and support then it will show you how to change drive letters either using windows or the command prompt. unfortunately it won't let you change the letter of a boot volume, but if you change the letter of the old hard drive (which i'm assuming is still c:), then re-boot the pc, windows may automatically re assign the drive letter of your boot disk to c:

If it hasn't changed after a reboot, then try running disk check, that may work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.